How to Sell On Craigslist Like a Pro & Make Extra Money. If you ever wondered if you could sell stuff on Craigslist, the answer is, “definitely”. Craigslist is one of the best places to sell your used furniture and old stuff quickly and successfully. I have made hundreds of dollars over the years and it didn’t take but a day or two. Have you ever heard the saying one man’s trash is another man’s treasure? That basically means some that you no longer have a use find valuable, can be a great find to someone else.
Don’t underestimate the things you have in your home or garage. You may be sitting on a gold mine! The thing I have sold on Craigslist were a pilates machine, an exercise bike, a china cabinet, a futon, and a van, just to name a few. These things were all in pretty good condition, I just wanted to get them out of the house. I made a quick $150 to $800 and got rid of some clutter as well.
How to Create a Craigslist Account
Before you can sell anything you need to create an account.
- Go to the Craigslist.
- Locate your city and state.
- Sign up with your name and email address.
- On the top left “Create a Posting” and “My Account”.
- Click on Create a Posting.
- On the top right of the page, you will see, “Log In” and “Create Account”.
- Click on “Create Account” and sign up using your email address
- Check your Email, click on the link to activate your account.
- Create a password.
Now you are ready to start selling. Write your ad. Attach pictures and leave a contact phone number.
1. How to Sell On Craigslist Like a Pro
The presentation is one of the most important things to selling anything. When to go to a car dealership, what do the vehicles look like? They are clean, tires are shiny, and the inside is vacuumed. Even when you are looking at used cars, they try to make them look brand new. Of course the sale of your old items will not bring the price of a car, but nonetheless, you want to make a good impression.
2. Clean the Items
- No one wants to buy an item that is dirty or covered with cobwebs. Make sure the item you are selling is clean. Don’t forget you are making a business transaction and you want to increase the chances of making the sale.
3. Clean your House
- When people walk into your home it will give them an impression that you care or that you couldn’t care less. When your home is neat and clean, the prospective buyer will feel like the items they are about to purchase were taken care of as well. So straighten up before people come over. Even if you are moving make the place look neat.
4. Give Important Details
- Give your people some important information about the product, like the name of manufacture, make, model number or the age of the product, if you have the owners manual, etc. All these this will answer in advance question the buyer may have.
5. Describe the Item Vividly
- If you want to sell on Craigslist like a pro, use descriptive words, like beautiful, bold, Italian marble, easy to use, gently used, very comfortable, works perfectly, smoke-free home. When a person reads your description, help them determine if it is what they have been looking for. If you are not sure how to work your ad, look at someone else’s ad who is selling something similar.
6. Describe the Item Correctly
- Because what you are selling is old, does not make it an antique. So, try to be accurate. Like for sale red and white 1960’s dining set. Sony, digital AM/FM radio, (never used). Or 3-year old Haverty’s blue and gold paisley sofa, with claw feet legs, (slightly faded on the back). Honesty is always the best way.
7. Clean & Deodorize Upholstered Furniture
- Depending on how much money you want to get for used furniture it may be worth your while to have it cleaned. Especially if you have pets or smoke in the home. Say you are selling a sofa and a love seat, and want 6, 0r $7 00 for it. Have it steam cleaned or clean and deodorized it yourself. When you list upholstered furniture as recently steam cleaned, this may be just the trick to make it worth the price.
8. Tell the Truth
- If there is something wrong with the item, say so. Honesty is the best way to do business. If there is slight crack, needs batteries, or there is a slight tear, say so. Some people don’t care, about a small imperfection but be upfront about it. If you try to deceive people they will not buy from you if they feel they have been deceived.
9. Take Clear Pictures
- Have you ever looked for something on Craigslist and couldn’t see the details or tell what color it was? That is very frustrating and it could cost you the sale. Take clear pictures of the front, back and side view to give your prospective buyer a complete view of what you are selling. If the room is a too dark turn on the lights or place lamps closer to the item, or even take it outside. If you don’t have a good camera or smartphone, borrow one. If the pictures still don’t come nicely edit them until they are perfect. Most cameras have edit features or you can use a free editor like Photoscape X.
10. Price it to Sell
- When determining a price think of what you paid for it originally, how long you have had it and what condition the item is. Give a fair price. If you price too high you might not get the sale. If you really need the money right away, price it to sell, but don’t give it away either. Let the buy known you are serious about selling and you will not haggle over the price.
11. Post your Ad in the Proper Category
- When posting your ad make sure you put in the proper category so it will be found.
12. Have An Adult Present When Sellers Come By
- Remember, strangers, are coming to your home. Make sure you are not alone when someone comes by. Use caution and make sure you are safe. If you do not feel comfortable when someone comes to the house, tell them you are sorry and the item has just been sold. It is better to be safe than sorry. Finally, if you follow all these steps, you will be able to sell on Craigslist like a pro. Once you make a sale, you will constantly be looking for things to sell. Consider Springtime as a great time to clear out some of your clutter.
Once you have followed these steps, you will surely sell your stuff on Craigslist fast! Good luck!