Stop Electric Bill Shut Offs

alt="help with utility bills"

Need emergency help with an electric bill?  If you live in the US, there are national programs that assist with utilities.  You may qualify for a government grant to help you pay past-due utilities, electric, and oil bills.  

You may also qualify for assistance from community organizations and churches that help with utility bills—charities like Goodwill Industries, Catholic Charities, and other non-profit agencies.  If you are a low-income wage earner, you may need financial help with rent or utilities.

Get Help with Utility Bills and More

The first place you want to seek help is your utility company.  Many utility and electric companies work with the government.  These organizations help the government by screening applicants and distributing money for bills.  You must qualify financially or be low-income to receive help with utility bills.

To prevent your services from being turned off, contact your utility company as soon as you know you are having a problem paying.  They can set up a payment plan by splitting a 12-month bill cycle into equal amounts.  Talk to your utility company to see how they can help you. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) also helps with utilities, rent, and security deposits.

10 Organizations that Help with Utility Bills

Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)

The LIHEAP grant helps low-income consumers with a one-time check to help with heating or utilities You may qualify even if you work, as long as your income meets Federal Poverty Guidelines.  Checks are sent out the first week of January, made out in the consumer’s name.  

They also provide emergency help with heating bills. This money can help consumers to begin the new year with a zero balance.   There are other locations, such as churches, schools, and community agencies, that can enroll. 

The Heating System Repair and Replacement Program (HEARTWAP)

HEARTWAP is a program that helps low-income residents repair or replace heating and cooling systems as well as water heaters. Eligibility for HEARTWAP is based on gross family income. Your income cannot exceed 60% of the Estimated State Median Income.  Services are only available to homeowners.  Landlords do not qualify.

Repairs or replacements of heating systems are done in the Winter and must be an emergency. To apply for HEARTWAP, contact the Fuel Assistance agency in your city to apply for more information.

Home Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP)

Weatherization Assistance (WAP) offers grants to pay for necessary home repairs to help low-income families remain in their homes.  The program allows homeowners to make home repairs.  Repairs must make the home more energy-efficient and lowering energy bills.  WAP is funding by the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE).  

DSS Emergency Assistance to Adults (EAA)

Emergency Assistance to Adults (EAA) – These benefits help adults receiving Supplemental Security Income.  They help with an emergency, such as help with rent, electric, or utility payments.

EAA helps already fragile people to maintain stability and prevent homelessness. They can receive support such as pay utilities, emergency housing, moving expenses.

Emergency Assistance to Families (EAF)

These benefits help low-income families facing financial, physical, or family emergencies.  The family must have a child under the age of 18 or 19 and be attending school full-time.  A pregnant woman is eligible to apply for EAF benefits. Finances are provided to help with:

  • Rent
  • Childcare
  • heating fuel
  • Stop evictions
  • Utility disconnection
  • safe housing for domestic violence

Energy Crisis Interventions Program (ECIP)

The Energy Crisis Interventions Program helps families with low-income families prevent electricity and utilities from being disconnected. They also help with the reconnection of services.  Many families have elderly and disabled members using electric-powered medical equipment.  However, lifesaving equipment like oxygen, chair lifts, hospital beds, dialysis is mandatory.

Accordingly, when you are about to have your electricity disconnected, they can intervene on your behalf by contacting your Power Company, informing them that they will be handling the past-due amount. Contact DSS to find out what local community organization that gives out and receives applications.

Catholic Charities

Catholic Charities can help to keep your utilities on or turned back on.  You can receive help when you qualify financially, have a disconnection notice, and finances are available.  Call or go to your location chapter for help.  The organization will also help with groceries and give you referrals to other agencies for help with clothes, furniture, etc.

Modest Needs

You can receive help from this non-profit organization.  They offer temporary financial assistance to at-risk families and single adults who work and earn a little too much to get government assistance.  You can apply for help if you live in the U.S. or Canada.  Apply for a grant.

The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army helps with utility bills.  Local agencies and charities that offer emergency help with utility bills. Suppose your electricity or utilities are disconnected.  These agencies can help you stop the disconnection or get your services restored.  Additionally, organizations provide financial assistance to low-income families.  Most of these organizations are nationwide but also located in most communities in the United States.

State Assistance Programs

If you are too late to register for LIHEAP this year, other government programs may help with heating and utilities.  Remember, always check with your power company to see what programs they offer to help you manage and save on your bills—also, the advantage of the energy-efficient light bulb program.  You can receive free energy-saving bulbs to help lower electricity usage.

Charities that Help with Utility Bills

Charities and community programs assist you in maintaining the stability of your family.  They help prevent eviction, utilities, food, or clothing.  These non-profit organizations and charities work all year round to bring support and emergency assistance to the less fortunate.  These financial grants are given out based on gross family income and the availability of funds.

You will receive a portion of the amount needed to keep your lights on or get services restored.  Sometimes you will need to go to more than one organization to get the whole bill paid.  Funding is not infinite, and there are types during the year like the Winter when many require services and funding may run out.

Do you Quality a Home Weatherization Grant?

If you receive Supplemental Security Income, VA disability Aid to Families with Dependent Children, you can receive a weatherization grant. Finally, contact the government agencies above for a full list of qualifications for the program.  Apply Here.

Who is eligible for help with utility bills?

  • Families with children
  • A household with disabled people
  • People over 60 years of age and older
  • Gross family income at or below Federal Poverty Guidelines (see above)

In conclusion, following up with the organization listing here, you may receive help when you qualify financially and if funding is available.

You May Also Want to Read

Get Help with Electric Bills

Stop Electric Bill Shut Off.   Do you need help with your electric or utility bills?  If you have ever been sitting in your home and suddenly your lights shut off, you know the feeling.  You know that you cannot heat your home without electricity, take a hot bath, cook, watch TV, or use the internet.  This can … Continue reading.

Utility Assistance Programs in Florida

Florida Utility Assistance Programs.  If you need utility assistance, Florida Power and Light have a program to help consumers experiencing financial difficulties with utility bills.  When you have a family, the thought of having your utilities turned off is unbearable. There is hope because there is a program that can help you with this. To receive … Continue reading.

How to Get Help with Rent and Utilities

Help with rent and utilities.  Do you need help with bills?  You can get emergency assistance from local charities like the Salvation Army , Catholic Charities. and Goodwill Industries.  These not-for-profits help many families during this most difficult time of the year. During the holiday season, employers cut hours for part-time workers, or some are let go.  Maybe you were hired for a holiday and now … Continue reading.


Recent Posts

error: Content is protected !!