Top Financial Help Programs for Pregnant Women

alt="financial help for pregnant women"

Financial help for pregnant women.  Are you pregnant and need help locating financial assistance?   We will tell you about the state, charity, and community organizations that help pregnant women and expecting teens.  If eligible, you can receive Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Infants, and Children (WIC), Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP),  Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), and  Medicaid.

If you are pregnant, you can receive financial grants from charities and community help organizations.  Pregnant low-income, women may qualify for assistance.   You can get help with medical, food, infant supplies, and more.

You can also get financial support and free baby supplies for you and your unborn child.  Many charities, community organizations, and government agencies extend a hand to help. We will show you where to get help and how to qualify for help.

12 Programs that Help Pregnant Women

1.  Medicaid

Medicaid for pregnant women allows women to get the prenatal help they need.   Medicaid is medical assistance for low-income and unemployed parents with children under 18.  Additionally, Medicaid provides state-run medical and financial help for pregnant women, women with children, and pregnant teens, living at home with a parent or guardian.   

Medicaid is medical insurance for pregnant women.  In addition, this insurance covers hospital bills for delivery costs for the child’s birth.  Medicaid tries to qualify a pregnant woman within about 2-4 weeks.  Apply for Medicaid


2.  CHIP – The Children’s Health Insurance Program

This benefit program offers low-cost and affordable health care for children.  It is a step above Medicare as CHIP helps families whose income is too high for their children’s government medical assistance.  Depending on the state in which you live, CHIP may also cover pregnant women.   Call to apply, Call 1-800-318-2596 or TTY: 1-855-889-4325.  You can also apply via the Health Insurance Marketplace.

3.  WIC – Women Infants and Children

Women, Infant, and Children benefits (WIC) are available for pregnant women who need assistance maintaining and delivering a healthy child.  The WIC benefits program provides food vouchers when the woman is a few months pregnant until the child is five years old. 

These nutrition benefits are a great help, and the vouchers are accepted at most supermarkets.  In addition to food and infant formula, the program gives breastfeeding support and help to postpartum women.  

4.  LIHEAP Energy Assistance

Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) is available to low-income women with young children. Most importantly, you may receive a check for up to $350 to help with utility bills.  Apply through the Department of Social Service, community outreach programs in your area, and your local utility company.  Home heating assistance grants are funded with a yearly subsidy to the Dept of Health and Human Services.  On October 15, 2014, ACF awarded approximately $3.05 billion for home heating grants.  

5.  Free Childcare Assistance

Childcare assistance helps young mothers return to school to get a better job, or a mother is already working.  Free childcare assistance is the most important thing necessary to help single mothers remain employed.  Placing a child in daycare can easily take up to 50% of your gross income, especially if you have more than one young child.   

6.  Government Housing Assistance Programs

  • Public Housing
  • Section 8 – Housing Choice Vouchers
  • Tax Credit Apartments – Income Restricted Communities

Housing assistance programs provide affordable housing for low-income families and pregnant women with children.  According to their income needs, all three programs help low-income people pay a portion of the rent(more)

7.  Free Home Repair Grants

If you are expecting a child and own a home, you may qualify for a home repair grant.  These grants help make essential repairs to your house if you qualify financially.  Contact the Veteran’s Affairs, USDA Rural Development, HUD, and the US Department of Housing and Urban Development to find a grant. You can also go to Go to USA.Gov to find a home repair grant for your city and state.

8.  Supplement Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

SNAP benefits can only be used to purchase food items. Products that are not allowed are tobacco, alcohol, pet food, or paper products.  When approved for TANF, your assistance will include SNAP, Medicaid, and a monthly benefit check for rent, utilities, and basics.  You will also get an EBT card to use to purchase food.  SNAP Benefits

You receive help; you must present:

  • Proof of income
  • A doctor’s letter proving the pregnancy
  • Payroll stub or letter from government assistance programs
  • Proof of citizenship, if a legal US resident ( documentation such as a birth certificate or social security card)

9.  WIC (Women Infants and Children)

The WIC Program provides food assistance to pregnant women, their infants, and children up to the age of five years old.   The mother receives food vouchers which she can take to the grocery store and purchase healthy food for herself and her children.   You are eligible for WIC if you receive TANF, SNAP, or Medicaid.

 10.  TANF – Temporary Assistance for Needy Families

The federal government provides financial help for pregnant women the way of TANF. This Federal program provides financial support and childcare to financially deprived pregnant women, expecting women, and teens.  Cases are reviewed every few months to determine if there has been a change in financial status.

The goal is to give temporary financial support until the mother can become self-sufficient. This is not a permanent grant. The financial subsidy can purchase food, clothing, housing, utilities, and medical supplies.

11. TANF for Pregnant Teens

A pregnant teen to receive TANF must live with a parent, guardian, an adult over 18 years old, or an adult-supervised supportive living arrangement. In these cases, the parent, legal guardian, relative, or other adult is the payee on behalf of the minor parent and their child until the mother turns 18.

12.  Catholic Charities Programs for Pregnant Women and Teens

Many Catholic Charities have programs that provide financial assistance for expecting women.  They also offer abortion alternatives for unplanned pregnancies.  They also offer family counseling, job training, and parenting classes.

13.  Pregnancy Alternatives – Adoption Services

Adoption services help women have their babies and place them in loving homes. Adoption mothers can choose life, bring their children into the world, and receive assistance in giving their children’s families the necessary resources to care for them.

14.  Babies Bonding Classes  to Prevent Child Abuse

This program aims to teach young mothers the importance of bonding with their babies.  They offer a 13-week “Bonding Right from the Start” course for pregnant women.  Other topics are breastfeeding, soothing, child safety, eye contact, and proper nutrition for brain development.  Catholic Charities

Who Qualifies for Financial Assistance when Pregnant

These federal benefits are made available to anyone in need and qualify financially, and you meet requirements according to federal government standards.  You do not have to wait until you give birth to your child for these services. 

Expecting Women & Teens are Eligible for Financial Help if

  • You are a US resident.
  • Confirmation from a physician that you are pregnant
  • You have children who have alien status
  • Teens under 18 who are in school
  • Each family has a social security number.
  • The family income is at or below the state’s required poverty level.
  • You are a non-resident living in the US for five years or more.

These Organizations Offer Financial Aid to Pregnant Women & Teens

  • Medicaid
  • Catholic Charities
  • Salvation Army
  • Hospital’s Sliding Fee Scale
  • St. Vincent de Paul Society
  • Childcare Assistance
  • Home Energy Assistance (LIHEAP)
  • Women Infants and Children (WIC)
  • The National School Lunch Program (NSLP)
  • The Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
  • Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, or (TANF)
  • Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program (SNAP)

Online Funding Sites can Help Raise Money for a New Baby.


This is an online funding tool people use daily to raise money for various needs from hospital bills, rent, and disasters like a fire, flood, or family member’s death.  A young man was attacked by a violent group and was left with bleeding on his brain and other injuries. 

Today, they have raised $195,755 toward a goal of $50,000.   There is no guarantee you will get any money at all.  However, if your story is compelling and your request goes viral.  You can receive donations to your goal of caring for your baby if your job doesn’t offer paid maternity leave.


This funding platform is usually used to raise money for a project, like starting a business, looking for investors, and networking with like-minded people.  That is to say, a donation-based aspect of Crowdfunding where people can donate to you is similar to GoFundMe.  So if you need a crib, car seat, baby clothes, or help with medical bills, you can set up a campaign on this platform to get financial help.

You May Also Want To Read

How to Get Free Baby Stuff  & Infant Supplies.   Do you live in the United States and need free baby stuff like clothes and other things for a new baby?  Low-income families can help with baby things. If you are pregnant, charities and other organizations help low-income families with pampers, car seats, cribs, clothing, samples, and others… Continue reading.

Financial Help for Pregnant Women.   Help is available for expecting moms and expecting teens through government benefits like TANF, WIC, Medicaid, and SNAP.  If you are a teenager, low-income, and expecting, you may qualify for pregnancy assistance.  You can get help with medical, food, infant supplies, and more, the support you need when you qualify financially.  You can receive financial support … Continue reading.

14 thoughts on “Top Financial Help Programs for Pregnant Women

  1. Hi, my name is Brianna. I am 17 and currently 12 weeks pregnant. I am in need of severe financial support and support with everything else. I don’t know if I apply for any of these programs, but I do know that I need financial support immediately because I know I have to go to doctors appointments but I don’t have any money to even go. I just don’t know what to do and I definitely do not want to put my baby up for adoption or abort it. Please help, I could really use it.

    1. If you are pregnant and not working you can go to the Dept of Social Services and get cash and food assistance, called TANF. Bring proof of pregnancy from a doctor.

  2. Why is this only available for women? I worked my ass off for 20 years and gov. Sisolak shut down my job and I’m about to lose my home, car and everything else.

    1. Daniel, there are cash programs for single people as well. Call 2-1-1 which is the United Way to find out how you can get help.

  3. Hi I am 27 weeks pregnant and am currently homeless. Needing help with an apartment I don’t know many resources could you help.

  4. My name is Claudia Arana. I run a nonprofit ministry called Embrace Grace in Downey California, but we are located across the United States. We are a support group for women who find themselves in unplanned pregnancies. We offer emotional, spiritual, and practical support. We give a free 12 week class, a baby shower, life shower (if choosing adoption), and a princess day (celebration for pregnant girl). If interested in attending our group go to Embrace to find a group near you. If you are near the Downey California area email me directly at

    1. Hello, Claudia. We commend you on the work you are doing to support women with unplanned pregnancies. It is a much-needed ministry in the country. We especially love the idea of the baby shower, helping women to celebrate the beautiful life they are about to bring into the world. Keep up the good work!

  5. Hi my names Sandi I’m going through a separation I have a job at Sentara but I don’t get paid till Thursday and he didn’t leave me any options as far as gas or anything. I just need a little help with gas until Thursday if there’s anybody out there that can help me

  6. Hello, I’m a single mother currently 31weeks pregnant with a baby girl and I don’t have nothing for the baby yet and I really need help I don’t know how you can help me but I really need help with my unborn baby I can’t wait to meet her at the sometime I don’t want her to come yet because I’m not ready for her I really need your help with housing, money, and bills I can’t get no job because I’m pregnant and my due date is in the most busiest time I went to several interview not one calls back even when I call them over and over again they said the choose a other candidate for the position or I’m not the right candidate for the position please help me I look foreward to talk to you thank you and have a great week.

    1. Hello, Tracy. You know how babies are, they come whether we are ready for them or not. There are charities like the Salvation Army, St. Vincent de Paul and Catholic Charites that can help you locate things you might need for the baby. When you call to tell them what you need. As you know the Salvation Army has stores all around to ask if you qualify for a store voucher where you can go shopping for free. Go to the Department of Social Services to see if you qualify for cash and food assistance. Good luck.

  7. My name is Tonya Jordan.. I am currently living in a halfway house in Lincolnton N.C. called Gaylains House of Hope. I am almost 6 months pregnant with a baby girl and Im in recovery and have been sober for 5 months now looking for housing. If you could help me please reply soon. I cant stay here much longer and i need housing for me and my unborn baby. Thank You and God bless!

    1. Hello Tonya. You may qualify for government assistance. Go the Department of Social Services to apply for assistance. Look for an apartment and they or HUD will give you security deposit and first month’s rent. I am concerned about you having some type of support system when you get out.(family, sober friends) . Please Contact the Salvation Army which can help you with aftercare support and counseling.

    2. Hello Tonya. You may qualify for government assistance. Go the Department of Social Services to apply for assistance. Look for an apartment and they or HUD will give you security deposit and first month’s rent. I am concerned about you having some type of support system when you get out.(family, sober friends) . Please Contact the Salvation Army which can help you with aftercare support and counseling. Need Furniture? Click on the like to find a furniture bank in your city.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Recent Posts

error: Content is protected !!