I Need Help to Pay Rent & Utilities

alt="help with rent utilities"

Do you need financial help with utilities, and rent?  You can get emergency help with bills from local charities like the Salvation Army, Catholic Charities. and Goodwill Industries.  These not-for-profits help many families during this most difficult time of the year.

During the holiday season, employers cut hours for part-time workers, or some are let go.  Maybe you were hired for a holiday and now don’t have a job.  If you are a low-income wage earner, you may need financial help with rent, and utilities.  Some programs can assist you in maintaining the stability of your family.

They help prevent eviction, utilities, food, or clothing.  These non-profit organizations and charities work all year round to bring support and emergency assistance to the less fortunate.

Need Financial Help With Utilities and Rent?

2-1-1 Is A Great Resource

The United Way has a listing of assistance programs in most cities in the US.  It is a good place to start your search for help with rent or electric bills.  They can locate eviction prevention and temporary housing assistance for you.

They can tell you what state, government, or community programs can help you pay your rent, utilities or provide assistance with security deposits on a new place to live. You can reach the United Way by dialing 2-1-1 on your phone, or you can reach them online at 211.org.

Department of Social Services

Many people don’t know they may qualify for help from the government.   You can receive help even if you presently receive government aid like TANF, WIC, and SNAP benefits, to get government help with rent.

If you are low income and qualify financially, you may be eligible for a one-time emergency bill assistance with bills like utility shut off, help to pay rent, and food assistance.  Therefore, if you have a financial crisis and are in danger of losing your apartment or having utilities shut off, go to your local DSS to apply for emergency help.  You may also qualify for expedited Food Stamp benefits and a referral to a neighborhood bank.

What Agencies Will not Do

  • give cash directly
  • pay rent before you receive an eviction notice
  • help if you do not qualify financially

What these Agencies can do

  • It helps to prevent an eviction
  • You will get help if you qualify financially
  • Will notify your landlord or mortgage holder, or utilities that they are helping you.

How to Apply for Financial Help

Charities, governments, and non-profits can provide financial help with utilities, and rent.  However, when applying for help, you must provide proof of income, address, identification for all in the family.  These documents will be used to verify who is asking for help and if you are eligible to receive assistance.

Non-profits Provide Financial Help with Utilities and Rent

Catholic Charities

Catholic Charities offers a host of benefits, one of which prevents evictions and helps with utilities and rent, mortgages, etc. If you are at risk of losing your home, contact Catholic Charities to get the financial help you need to stay in your home.

They are committed to not helping the poor and transforming lives with respect and dignity.  They offer social services,  help with rent,  utility assistance, healthcare, pregnancy support, foster care, adoption services, disaster relief.

The Salvation Army Help With Bills

The Salvation Army has been helping communities in need for over 100 years. These programs include a meal program, food pantry assistance, emergency shelters, rent assistance, clothing.  If you need emergency help with rent and utilities, or other bills, contact this charity.   Documentation must be proved to get service.

Low-Income Heat Energy Assistance Program – (LIHEAP)

LIHEAP is a benefit program to help financially qualified residents with heating and cooling costs.  You can contact your utility company, the Department of Human Services, or participating community organizations to apply for help.

Once a year, participants are eligible to receive a check in the winter to help with heating costs.  You can call the United Way (2-1-1) to find out where to apply in your city.

The American Red – Emergency Bill Assistance

The American Red Cross is well known for helping families and individuals affected by disasters.   They have opened 196 shelters, given out 669,000 relief supplies, and have counseled almost 12,800 families.  They provide open shelters, meals, and snacks, blood collections, replace eyeglasses, Helps military families, Replace prescription drugs, physical health, and mental health support, personal supplies, toothbrush, deodorant, shampoo.  (more)

Family Assistance (FA) Programs Help Families With Children

You may be eligible for Family Assistance, which offers cash assistance to eligible disadvantaged families with at least one minor child living with one or both parents or guardians. Family Assistance operates under federal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) guidelines.  Click here for more information.

St. Vincent de Paul Catholic Church

St. Vincent de Paul is a leading Catholic charity in America.  They provide many services, such as food distribution, prescription assistance, housing assistance, help with utilities, rent, and family counseling.

If you need help with preventing and eviction, contact this charity here.  If you need help paying rent, this charity will help you or direct you to where you can get the help you need. This organization is open to people of all faiths and backgrounds who need help.


You May Also want to Read

error: Content is protected !!