How to Get a New Social Security Number. You may be surprised to know; you can get a second Social Security number, and there are legal reasons that allow it. As a matter of fact, you are allowed to have up to three Social Security numbers during your lifetime. If you are a citizen of the United States, children and adults are required to have them.
A Social Security number identifies your existence and is used to confirm and track individuals, and it is also used to report income for taxes and retirement benefits purposes. You cannot get another number because you want to get away from bad credit history, but the IRS does allow you to change your social security number for certain reasons. The IRS will connect your second card to your original number to ensure all job earning is reflected.
The First Social Security Number
According to the Department of Social Security, John David Sweeney, Jr. was the first person to receive a Social Security card. He did not live long enough to collect his benefits, as he died at the age of 61, but his wife collected his S.S. benefits. S.S. benefits include
Old-Age, Survivors, and Disability Insurance. Social Security number applications were initially issued to employers who had a specified number of employees. Applications were collected by the local post offices in 1936.
Why Amish Reject Paying into Social Security
The Amish are mostly exempt from paying into the social security system. This religious organization does pay taxes but did believe commercial insurance would erode their faith. Amish, do not rely on outside resources, such as electricity, automobiles, secondary education, etc. They take a strong stand on the separation of church and state.
They alone are responsible for the care of their families and communities, such as helping a neighbor, feeding and caring for the sick, or helping a neighbor build a home or barn. Today the Amish pay Social Security only if they work for a secular company. Those who are self-employed do not pay Social Security, receive benefits or unemployment.
First Reason you can get a Second Social Security Number
- Sequential numbers are assigned to people living in the same household that are causing problems.
- When you are a victim of identity theft, and you experience undue hardship associated with the number.
- If you are being harassed, the victim of abuse, or your life is in danger.
- When certain numbers in your social security number have negative cultural ( 4 is the most unlucky number in Chinese culture) or religious connotations. (You must present documentation of your belief from your organization).
How to Get a New Social Security Number
- To receive a new S.S. number, you must go to the Social Security Office to make your request.
- You must complete an application.
- You must provide a written statement requesting a new number indicating and why you need to change your number.
- Present proof of citizenship or legal status, year of birth, legal name.
Other Reading on the Subject
If you are having problems with your credit, you can fix your credit yourself. Many people have had hardships or have made bad choices that have affected their credit. There are some simple things you can do to improve your credit rating. It will take…
If you have a credit problem, it can be difficult to rent a home or an apartment. However, nothing is impossible if you get a little creative and know the facts. Many people agree with landlords and homeowners to rent, even when their credit is a challenge.
The government of the United States has several assistance programs arranged to help those in need. These federal benefits give free money to support people with basics such as food, healthcare, and...
Pandemic Unemployment Assistance. The COVID 19 outbreak is tough for almost everyone out there. The pandemic had a direct effect on the country’s economy. It not only affects people’s lives but...