Utility Assistance Programs in Florida

alt="florida utility assistance programs"

Florida Utility Assistance Programs.  If you need utility assistance, Florida Power and Light have a program to help consumers experiencing financial difficulties with utility bills.  When you have a family, the thought of having your utilities turned off is unbearable. There is hope because there is a program that can help you with this. To receive assistance, you must qualify financially.

Care to Share Utility Assistance

If Florida Power and Light is your utility provider, you may be eligible for help. The FPL Care to Share program helps Florida consumers with up to $500 in financial assistance to pay their bills. If you have lost your job, experience illness or some emergency, or have a legitimate emergency, you may qualify.

Care to share is an assistance program that helps consumers pay utility bills. It is funded by corporate, employee, and customer donations. These funds are collected and distributed by the community and non-profit organizations in the area. If FPL is your provider and you need help, get a list of agencies that help your department of social services.  (More)

Where to Apply

Please contact Florida Power and Light’s customer service (1-800-226-3545) to determine where to apply for utility assistance in your area. You can also find a location by calling the 2-1-1 community information number.

Documentation Needed to Apply

Household eligibility is determined by government and community agencies appointed to screen and administer funds. Help is giving on a first-come, first-served basis until finances are exhausted.

To qualify, you must:

  • Receive service at that location
  • Live in Florida Power and Light service area.
  • Have a way to pay your bill in the future
  • Present a past-due FPL bill, or disconnect notice
  • Show proof of crisis such as loss of employment, illness, etc.
  • Have a total household income at or below 150 percent of the federal poverty level
  • Provide proof of Id, such as drivers license, Government Identification card
  • Sign an Authorization to give an agency to check for bill Fraud or service tampering in your background.

Low-Income Heating Assistance Program (LIHEAP)

Another Utility Assistance program is LIHEAP or Low-Income Heating Assistance Program. LIHEAP helps low-income families with utility bills. If you receive assistance from the government, please speak to your counselor to enroll you for help. You can also apply for this grant at various community agencies.

Home heating grants help disadvantaged residents pay for Winter heating bills. During the winter months, many low-income families will be eligible for the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP).

When applying through the Department of Social Services, your financial income is already on record, and all you have to do is ask your counselor to help you apply. They will submit your application. Please keep in touch with them to make sure this has been done.

When you are applying through a community organization, you will need to provide proof of income such as:

  • Proof of legal U.S. Status
  • Current Payroll stubs
  • Proof of your gross monthly income
  • Identification such as Drivers License
  • Current Florida Power and Light Bill
  • Original documentation from the government agency you are receiving help with.

LIHEAP – 1-866-857-7095

Elderly Home Energy Assistance

Florida’s Elderly Home Energy Assistance (EHEAP) helps households with one or more low-income persons 60 or over. If the residents cannot pay the utilities, they can receive financial assistance twice a year from April to September or October to March. The Florida Department of Elderly Affairs delegates local community agencies to screen applicants for eligibility.

Where to Apply

If you are having difficulty paying your utility bills and one or more elderly persons living at home, please get in touch with the Aging and Disability Resource Center, or call 1-800-963-5337 to find out the EHEAP agency in your area.

  • To qualify for assistance, your household must have:
  •  One or more person 60 or older living in your residence
  • A gross family yearly income at or below 150 percent of the federal poverty guidelines
  • A heating or cooling emergencies, such as a turn-off notice, especially during the very Winter or Summer season

Places in Florida to Get Assistance with Utilities

Recent Posts

error: Content is protected !!