Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Programs

alt="Wisconsin home heating"

Wisconsin Home Heating.  For eligible homeowners, paying home heating and cooling costs may be a real burden. Thankfully, the federal government offers the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) to assist. In Wisconsin, low-income home energy assistance is administered via the Wisconsin Fuel Assistance Program (WFAP).

Households must fulfill income and asset requirements to participate in the WFAP. There is a cap of $5,000 per individual and $10,000 per household on total assets. Income eligibility requirements for the WFAP are 60% of the state median income or less.

Please contact your local energy assistance provider if you are interested in applying for the WFAP. Additional program details are available on the state of Wisconsin’s Department of

Health Services website.

Companies that Help with Home Heating & Utilities

A wide variety of organizations offer home heating aid and utility payment assistance. The firms listed here range from government agencies to private businesses.

Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)

Helping households on fixed incomes pay home energy costs is the government’s mission via the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP). Funding from this energy program comes from grants that do not need to be repaid.

The federal government provides funding for the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), which assists families in paying home energy costs. Families may get funding from the program to weatherize their houses and save money on heating and cooling expenditures.

All US states and territories have access to (the LIHEAP program). The United States Department of Health and Human Services runs this program. Whether or not a family qualifies for assistance depends on the household’s income, the number of people living there, and the fuel required to keep the home warm. Homes that heat primarily with gas, electricity, wood, natural gas, and oil are eligible for financial aid.

Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP)

Low-income families may get federal aid to pay their energy bills via the Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP).  The state government funds this program to help people with their heating and electricity costs. Assistance for qualified families may be provided for utility bills, home weatherization, and emergency fuel costs.

Households with children under six, people over sixty-five, and those with disabilities have precedence when receiving HEAP aid. To qualify for HEAP aid, you must have a gross annual income at or below 60 percent of the state’s median income.

Since home heating costs have steadily risen over the past several years, many families have qualified for HEAP subsidies. Average HEAP benefits have also grown from $400 in FY2009 to $700 in FY2013.

Home Heating Assistance Program (HHA)

(LIHEAP), the Low Income Home, Energy Assistance Program, is the principal funder of the state-sponsored Home Heating Assistance Program (HHA). This emergency relief program assists disadvantaged families in crisis who need help paying for heating and cooling their homes.

The administration of HAP falls within the purview of the Commerce Department. Households with earnings at or below 150% of the federal poverty threshold are eligible for the HHA, managed by the Department of Health and Human Services.

Suppose you want to participate in the program. In that case, you need to live in a home where at least one family member is responsible for paying the utilities. Households in all 50 states and DC may apply for the HHA. Whether you want to know if you qualify for the program, you should get in touch with your local or state HHS office.

Home Heating Oil Assistance Program (HHOA)

Low-income families may get support paying for their oil heat via the Home Heating Oil Assistance Program (HHOA). The state finances HHOAF fund the Home Heating Oil Assistance Program, which helps low-income residents pay for home heating and other utility bills.

This benefit program aims to reduce the financial burden of heating a home for low-income families that qualify. Participants get a monthly lump sum payment from the program to pay their heating bills. All homes must be self-sufficient in terms of heating expenditures and fulfill a certain income threshold to participate in the program.

Telephone Assistance Program

Eligible households may get help paying their phone bills via the state-funded free phone program (TAP). This program assists low-income families in paying for winter heating costs. The government established the Telephone Assistance Program (TAP).

You can receive an annual subsidy for electric bills and eating and cooling costs under the program. Households must have a yearly income at or below 150% of the Federal Poverty Level to be considered for participation in the program.

Temporary and Disability Assistance manages TAP with funding from the federal (LIHEAP) (OTDA). Households who qualify for TAP get financial assistance with their heating and electricity costs.

Universal Service Fund (USF)

The Universal Service Fund (USF) provides free cell phones and phone services for low-income families. They also offer help with landline service. Additionally, this federally funded program provides home heating and utilities financial aid. Helping struggling families cover their monthly energy bills is the goal of this initiative. The household’s energy supplier receives the subsidy, and the home is responsible for paying any remaining balance.

Telephone customers pay an additional month to fund the Universal Service Fund.  Current monthly surcharges for most residential users are $0.25, as determined by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). The FCC oversees the Universal Service Administrative Company (USAC), which manages the USF.

Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP)

Another government initiative that assists low-income households with energy bills is the Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP). Energy-efficient upgrades, such as insulation and weather stripping, are free of charge via WAP.

WAP helps low-income households weatherize and boost energy efficiency (WAP). Insulation, caulking, and weather-stripping are energy conservation activities that may be implemented to improve heating and cooling systems and repair or replace windows and roofs. These upgrades should save energy expenditures and improve comfort.

This energy program is managed by the Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy, which local governments and organizations implement. This energy conservation initiatives help is available to households. A home energy assessment determines which home heating measures to adopt.

Various federal programs are designed to aid low-income families with energy costs; energy conservation assistance is only one. LIHEAP and the WAPA are two more programs that help low-income families pay their heating and energy costs.

Government Programs that Help with Home Heating & Utilities

Aid for paying for home heating and other utility bills is available through various government programs. The federal government is responsible for several of these initiatives, while state and municipal governments handle others.

The Tribal Energy Program (TEP)

Eligible low-income families may get help paying their energy costs via the Tribal Energy Program (TEP). A one-time payment assists with energy expenses, and the program reduces the household’s energy bill to help make energy more reasonable. Homeowners enrolled members of a federally recognized Indian tribe or Alaska Native community may apply for the TEP.

The State Energy Program (SEP)

To assist states and territories create and execute energy efficiency and renewable energy initiatives, the federal government funds the State Energy Program (SEP). Help with home heating costs, electricity bills, and energy efficiency upgrades are all part of the program for low-income families.

Millions of low-income families throughout the United States have benefited from the SEP’s efforts to lower energy costs and increase energy efficiency.

The program also provides vital repairs and energy efficiency services that may significantly reduce home heating and cooling expenses.

The State Energy Conservation Assistance Program (SECA)

Low-income families may get help paying for their heating bills and other energy costs via the State Energy Conservation Assistance Program (SECA), financed by the federal government.

The program helps decrease home energy usage and save money on energy bills. The program funds state and local agencies to help cover the cost of energy conservation for heating and cooling initiatives.

Emergency energy assistance programs, which help deserving families deal with the financial impact of unforeseen events like power shutoffs, are also supported by this program. SECA also supports research and development initiatives in energy efficiency and weatherization via financing.

The Tribal Energy Development Program (TEDP)

The TEDP may assist with home heating costs and utility bills. As a result of the high cost of electricity, the program was established to aid Indian Tribes and Alaska Native Villages. This initiative lowers the barrier to entry for small communities to initiate or expand energy development projects by offering grants and loans, reducing the overall energy cost.

The Tribal Development Program has also developed a training program to provide local communities with the know-how to create and manage sustainable energy initiatives. Many small communities have benefited from the TEDP’s efforts to lower their energy bills and increase their independence.


Aid for paying for home heating costs and other utilities is available from various private organizations and public agencies. Low-income clients may be eligible for special discounts or assistance programs from certain businesses.

Households with modest incomes may get assistance paying their energy costs via government programs like LIHEAP. If a family has trouble making ends meet, these services might be a lifesaver.