Montana Heating and Utility Bill

alt="Montana Heating and Utility Bill Assistance"

Montana Heating and Utility Bill Assistance.  The cold months mean higher heating and utility bills for everyone.  Montana has local and government agencies that help you pay bills. First of all, if you are low-income or in danger of losing services there is help available.  Here is a listing of charities, government and utility companies where you may be able to help you with energy bills for your home.

Montana Heating and Utility Bill Assistance

LIEAP (Low Income Energy Assistance Program)

LIEAP is a national government program that supports struggling families pay heating bills.   You may be eligible for assistance with gas, water or electric bills.   The Department of Health and Human Services receives a yearly subsidy in the form of a grant.  On October 15, 2014, ACF awarded approximately $3.05 billion for home heating grants.  You can register at the department of social services, approved community organizations and participating charities.   (more)

Flathead Electric Cooperative

This grant does not pay your entire bill, but give a 50% discount on your monthly charges.  If you qualify for LIHEAP you may be eligible for a grant from Flathead Electric Corporation.   For more information or where to apply, call the Kalispell location 406-751-4483 or the Libby Montana location 406-293-7122.

The Montana Salvation Army

The Salvation Army can provide assistance with rent and utilities when funding is available and you qualify financially.   Church districts receive a budget for the year.  There is a first come, first served policy, also,  preference is given to women with children, the sick and elderly.  When they cannot help they can refer you to other host agencies that still have funds.  Contact your local Salvation Army to make and an appointment.  Montana Heating and Utility Bill Assistance can be sought through local charities in the area.  (more programs)

Sun River Electric Coop

The weatherization program can help make mandatory repairs to the roof, doors, windows, water heaters to make your dwelling more energy efficient. However, you must meet the government poverty standards to qualify. If you are presently a customer with Sun River, you can apply through this utility. Call 406-467-2526.  (more)

The Energy Crisis Intervention Program (ECIP)

ECIP is part of the LIEAP program. If you have not received or are not eligible for LIEAP you may be eligible for ECIP assistance for fuel. If you are having a financial crisis and in danger of losing your heating services you may be able to get ECIP assistance.  As always, you must qualify to according to US Poverty Guidelines. The emergency situation includes evictions or potential disconnection or disconnection of utility services. ECIP also offers help with furnace repairs for a faulty or broken furnace. To apply, contact the South Dakota Department of Social Services, Office of Energy Assistance at 800-233-8503.

The Montana Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP)

The Montana Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP), is a fuel assistance program that provides assistance with savings of fuel as well as cash assistance for utility bills. Weatherization is the act of making a home energy efficient by securing areas when heat or cool air can escape from the home. They also repair, wrap or replace broken water heats.

To qualify for this program, you must qualify financially and be a family with young children, disabled or elderly. You must also be meet financial qualifications established by the government. If you receive SSI or are enrolled in other assistance programs like TANF you are eligible to receive weatherization services. For more information about WAP call the Montana Citizen’s Advocate, at 800-332-2272. (More)

Montana-Dakota Utilities Co.

If you live in Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, or Wyoming and need assistance with your heating and utility bills this utility can lead you to programs that can help eligible residents with not only heating costs but state and federal weatherization programs that help make your home energy efficient. Call 800-638-3278.

NorthWestern Energy

This benefit works with residents already in the LIHEAP program. This particular incentive allows you to also receive a discount on your heating and gas bill. If you are presently receiving help from a government assistance program you can automatically be enrolled by the Human Resource Council in Montana. For more information please call 800-332-2272.

Flathead Electric 

Finally, another Montana disconnection prevention is Keep the Lights On.  You can receive a maximum of $200 to prevent disconnection of reconnecting your utilities or heating services. For more information on how to get aid call  800-735-8489. (more energy assistance)

Energy Share of Montana

This is a private non-profit organization working within low-income and at-risk communities to help with heating and utility costs, mandatory home repairs on furnace heaters, drafty windows, doors and other areas of the home that lose energy. For more information call 406-442-4900, 318 North Last Chance Gulch Helena, MT 59601.

Action for Eastern Montana

If you need help with utility payments or fuel to heat your home this organization can help qualified residents get help. If you have not been able to get help from other organizations call 406-377-3564.

Montana Utility Assistance Tribal Offices

Rocky Boy’s Reservation (Chippewa & Cree Tribes)
Rocky Boy Route, Box 568
Box Elder, MT 59521
(406) 395-4728

Flathead Reservation (Confederated Salish & Kootenai Tribes)
P.O. Box 278
Pablo, MT 59855
(406) 675-2700, ext. 1049

Crow Reservation
District VII HRDC
7 North 31 st Street
P.O. Box 2016
Billings, MT 59103-2016
(406) 247-4732

Blackfeet Reservation
P.O. Box 850
Browning, MT 59417
(406) 338-7977

Fort Belknap Reservation (Assiniboine & White Clay Tribes)
P.O. Box 66, RR 1
Harlem, MT 59526
(406) 353-8499

Northern Cheyenne Reservation
P.O. Box 128
Lame Deer, MT 59043
(406) 477-6284

Fort Peck Reservation (Assiniboine & Sioux Tribes)
P.O. Box 1027
Poplar, MT 59255
(406) 768-5810

Montana Heating and Utility Bill Assistance and other Charities that Help

When requesting help from one of these charities, don’t forget to see if you qualify for help with furniture, rent, clothing or baby stuff.  Community charities work hand in hand with local and federal government to help facilitate the registration and screening of applicants seeking help with bills.

Recent Posts

error: Content is protected !!