Oakland, California, is a diverse city with rich history, cultural significance, and resilient community spirit. While it’s home to thriving arts districts, innovative businesses, and picturesque landscapes, like any urban area, Oakland also has residents who face financial challenges.
To support its community members, Oakland boasts a comprehensive tapestry of financial assistance programs designed to provide a safety net for those in need.
From government-backed initiatives like CalFresh and CalWORKs to grassroots organizations. These organizations are dedicated to housing, healthcare, and food security. Oakland’s network of support is both broad and deep. Agencies like the Alameda County Social Services and community-driven efforts by entities like the East Bay Community Law Center work tirelessly to ensure every resident has access to essential resources.
Whether it’s emergency rent assistance, legal support, food distribution, or job training, Oakland’s commitment to uplifting and supporting its community shines through its multitude of assistance programs. Oakland.
California Financial Assistance Programs
Alameda County Social Services Agency
- Address: 2000 San Pablo Ave,
- Oakland, CA 94612
- Phone: (510) 271-9100
- Services: Provides CalFresh, Medi-Cal, CalWORKs, and General Assistance.
Alameda County Community Food Bank
- Address: 7900 Edgewater Dr, Oakland, CA 94621
- Phone: (510) 635-3663
- Services: Provides Food distribution and CalFresh application assistance.
Catholic Charities of the East Bay
- Address: 433 Jefferson St, Oakland, CA 94607
- Phone: (510) 768-3100
- Services: Housing assistance, refugee & immigrant services, and more.
Season of Sharing Fund (SOS)
- Services: Crisis intervention for needy families, including housing and critical family needs.
- Phone: You can contact the Alameda County Social Services Agency (listed above) to learn more about accessing SOS funds.
The Unity Council
- Address: 1900 Fruitvale Ave, Suite 2A, Oakland, CA 94601
- Phone: (510) 535-6101
- Services: Various programs, including senior services, housing assistance, and financial education.
East Bay Community Law Center
- Address: 2921 Adeline St, Berkeley, CA 94703 (near Oakland)
- Phone: (510) 548-4040
- Services: Provides legal services in housing, public benefits, and workers’ rights.
Oakland Housing Authority
- Address: 1540 Webster St, Oakland, CA 94612
- Phone: (510) 874-1500
- Services: Housing assistance, Section 8 vouchers, and more.
Family Support Services of the Bay Area
- Address: 401 Grand Ave Suite 500, Oakland, CA 94610
- Phone: (510) 834-4006
- Services: Offers respite care, kinship support, mental health services, and more to support families, especially those with children who have special needs.
St. Vincent de Paul of Alameda County
- Address: 2272 San Pablo Ave,
- Oakland, CA 94612
- Phone: (510) 638-7600
- Services: Provides emergency financial assistance, food, clothing, and more to needy residents.
East Oakland Community Project (EOCP)
- Address: 7515 International Blvd, Oakland, CA 94621
- Phone: (510) 746-3600
- Services: Offers emergency and transitional housing, as well as supportive services.
Centro Legal de la Raza
- Address: 3022 International Blvd #410, Oakland, CA 94601
- Phone: (510) 437-1554
- Services: Provides legal services, particularly for immigrant, low-income, and Latino communities. Areas covered include housing, employment, immigration, and more.
Oakland Community Action Partnership
- Phone: (510) 238-2362
- Services: Focuses on reducing poverty in Oakland by offering various programs and services, including job training, youth services, and financial education.
Oakland Financial Assistance Programs – Heads Up
It’s crucial to remember that organizations and their services can evolve, and there might be more recent additions or changes in the Oakland area since 2022. Before seeking assistance, always contact the organization to verify their current offerings, requirements, and potential waitlists.
Alameda County Homeless Action Center
- Address: 2619 Broadway, Oakland, CA 94612
- Phone: (510) 695-2260
- Services: Specializes in legal services to people without housing and those at risk of homelessness. They help clients gain access to emergency, transitional, and permanent housing.
Bay Area Community Services (BACS)
- Address: 390 40th St, Oakland, CA 94609
- Phone: (510) 613-0330
- Services: Offers mental health, housing, and aging services.
Ella Baker Center for Human Rights
- Address: 1419 34th Ave, Oakland, CA 94601
- Phone: (510) 285-1000
- Services: Advocacy and direct support for justice reform and community upliftment.
Mujeres Unidas y Activas (MUA)
- Address: 2783 E. 12th St, Oakland, CA 94601
- Phone: (510) 261-3398
- Services: A grassroots organization of Latina immigrant women focusing on personal transformation and building community power for social and economic justice.
- Address: 344 Thomas L Berkley Way, Oakland, CA 94612
- Phone: (510) 858-6124
- Services: Aim to triple the number of college graduates from Oakland within a decade. They provide financial support, mentorship, and guidance.
Lifelong Medical Care
- Address: 10700 MacArthur Blvd, Suite # 14, Oakland, CA 94605
- Phone: (510) 981-4100
- Services: Comprehensive health care services to all, regardless of their ability to pay.
Oakland Organizations Join Together to Help
These organizations and others in the Oakland area work collaboratively to provide a safety net for those facing financial, housing, health, and other crises. If you or someone you know needs assistance, it’s beneficial to contact these organizations directly or consult a local community center for referrals and additional resources.
East Bay Asian Local Development Corporation (EBALDC)
- Address: 1825 San Pablo Ave, Suite 200, Oakland, CA 94612
- Phone: (510) 287-5353
- Services: Develops affordable housing and community facilities with integrated services focused on tenants and neighborhood residents, emphasizing the Asian-Pacific American population.
East Bay Agency for Children (EBAC)
- Address: 303 Van Buren Avenue, Oakland, CA 94610
- Phone: (510) 268-3770
- Services: Offers counseling, therapeutic, and support services for children, youth, and their families.
Women’s Economic Agenda Project (WEAP)
- Address: 449 15th St, Suite 301, Oakland, CA 94612
- Phone: (510) 986-8600
- Services: Fights for economic human rights and social justice for women and families.
Spanish Speaking Unity Council
- Address: 1900 Fruitvale Ave, Oakland, CA 94601
- Phone: (510) 535-6101
- Services: Focuses on improving the community’s quality of life and economic status through various programs.
City of Oakland Rent Adjustment Program
- Address: 250 Frank H Ogawa Plaza, Suite 5313, Oakland, CA 94612
- Phone: (510) 238-3721
- Services: Provides information about tenant and property owner rights and responsibilities regarding rent adjustments and cause for eviction ordinances.
Society of St. Vincent de Paul
- Address: 675 – 23rd Street, Oakland, CA 94612
- Phone: (510) 638-7600
- Services: Offers emergency financial assistance, food, clothing, and other essential needs.
East Oakland Switchboard
- Address: 7200 Bancroft Ave, Suite 2, Oakland, CA 94605
- Phone: (510) 569-8088
- Services: Provides emergency food and clothing, information and referrals, and other services for seniors.
Love Never Fails
- Address: P.O. Box 30750, Oakland, CA 94604
- Phone: (510) 969-5358
- Services: This organization is dedicated to restoring, educating, and protecting at risk of becoming involved in domestic trafficking.
Berkley California and Surrounding Area
Lutheran Social Services of Northern California
- Address: 1918 University Ave #4A, Berkeley, CA 94704 (near Oakland)
- Phone: (510) 704-7480
- Services include housing assistance, financial education, and support for people transitioning from homelessness or life in institutions.
Please note that while these agencies and organizations offer various forms of financial assistance, eligibility requirements and availability of funds or services may vary. It’s essential to contact the specific organization directly to get the most accurate and up-to-date information regarding their assistance.
The Women’s Daytime Drop-In Center
- Address: 2218 Acton St, Berkeley, CA 94702 (near Oakland)
- Phone: (510) 548-2884
- Services: Offers free breakfast and lunch, counseling, emergency financial assistance, housing referrals, and more to women and children.
Building Opportunities for Self-Sufficiency (BOSS)
- Address: 1918 University Ave #2A, Berkeley, CA 94704 (near Oakland)
- Phone: (510) 649-1930
- Services: Aim to help homeless, poor, and disabled individuals achieve health and self-sufficiency by providing shelter, housing, and services.
- Address: 3850 San Pablo Ave, Suite 102, Emeryville, CA 94608 (near Oakland)
- Phone: (510) 287-8465
- Services: Assists homeless veterans and others in transitioning to housing, health, and independence.
Portia Bell Hume Behavioral Health and Training Center
- Address: 1333 Powell St, Emeryville, CA 94608 (near Oakland)
- Phone: (510) 596-8137
- Services: Offers mental health and crisis intervention services.
- Address: 40849 Fremont Blvd, Fremont, CA 94538 (They serve various locations, including Oakland)
- Phone: (510) 657-7409
- Services: They assist the homeless, low-income, un-housed people, and special needs to secure stable, supportive housing.
Portátiles Gratuitas para Familias Necesitadas Diversas organizaciones benéficas, entidades caritativas y programas del gobierno ofrecen ordenadores sin costo para familias con pocos recursos....
Saving for a Downpayment on a House. Saving up for your first house can seem as tricky as finding your way through a maze, especially when gathering enough money for a downpayment. It might...