Washington State Assistance Programs

alt="washington assistance programs"

Washington Assistance Programs.  Washington’s Financial Aid Programs help families and individuals experiencing financial challenges.  You can also, receive, general assistance, unemployable, child care, cash benefits, and other help.   Washington is a beautiful state,  yet according to the University of Washington, 13.7 percent of families with children live below poverty standards.

In 2017 household incomes are on the rise and poverty statistics are getting lower, but there are still many need help with rent, medical, utilities, or groceries.  There are many community and government programs in place to help maintain family stability and prevent homelessness.

Washington Assistance Programs

Pregnant Women Assistance

If you are a resident of Washington State, pregnant, not eligible for TANF or SFA, you may be eligible for Pregnant Women Assistance.  While this state-funded program pays out a maximum of $197 a month, you must be pregnant and meet financial and citizenship requirements.  Call 1-855-923-4633.  More

Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)

Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) provides cash grants to low-income unemployed and working adults. Those participating in the program may also be eligible for Medicaid, SNAP, WIC benefits. Or eligible to participate in the Work First Program where they can receive job readiness training and enrollment in certificate programs to develop new jobs skill to qualify for better employment opportunities.


Washington Assistance programs include medical benefits through Medicaid, which is funded by both the federal government and the state. This program extends medical benefits to qualifying children, pregnant women, seniors and adults and children with disabilities.

Also, you are eligible if you live in Washington state, are a permeant resident, legal alien, a citizen and are low-income. The Medicaid client receives medical services at no cost and then and the government reimburses medical providers.

You also are eligible if you are a legal guardian, of a child under 19, are disabled or pregnant. If you think you may qualify for help call, 1-800-562-3022.

SNAP Food Assistance

SNAP benefits are provided to help disadvantaged families provide healthy meals for their children.  You will receive an allotted amount of benefits, placed on an EBT card which you use to purchase groceries.    You must provide proof of income, identification, and social security cards for all family members.  Periodic recertification is necessary to continue to receive  More

Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)

Washington TANF or Temporary Assistance for Needy Families is a US government help program, designed to help low-income families care for their families.  A low-income family would entail a family where the adults are unemployed, or working and still not able to provide the basics for their families.

This can also include an adult who has returned to school that they may be more marketable in today’s workforce. TANF is designed to be a short-term assistance program until such time as the family income meets all its basic needs.

Washington State Women Infants and Children (WIC)

WIC provides nutritional assistance to expectant mothers, infants, and children. This help is given in addition to SNAP benefits.  Single mothers receive food vouchers that can be used at participating grocery stores and markets where food products are sold. Mothers also qualifies for a voucher to purchase fresh fruit and vegetables at local markets.

Child Care Subsidy Programs

Washington Assistance programs help families with low-cost or free childcare assistance.  Local Child Care Resource and Referral Organizations assists disadvantaged families may qualify for childcare assistance and locate state-licensed caregivers.

You can receive a childcare grant if you meet the financial requirements. If you are a parent, legal guardian, or main caregiver of the children and persons with disabilities up to 19 years of age you can apply.  800-424-2246.  More

State Family Assistance (SFA)     

Those not eligible for TANF may be eligible for  State Family Assistance.    SFA is one of the short-term Washington assistance programs that provide living assistance.  This program helps with the care of children raised by legal guardians, like relatives or grandparents raising grandchildren. 

This cash program provides financial support for the child, Medicare, help towards rent, and referrals to other services, like counseling, school supplies.  They are also eligible to receive TANF assistance to help with these children.

Emergency Food Assistance

You may qualify for Expedited SNAP benefits when you are unable to feed yourself or your family.  You must qualify financially, provide proof of income, unemployment benefits, etc.

This Washington Basic Food Program can be renewed every three months, or whenever it is designated by your county.  You will receive an EBT card and SNAP within 7-10 business days.  1-855-923-4633

Refugee Cash Assistance (RCA)

RCA is an assistance program that helps refugees with cash and medical assistance up to the first 8 months they are in the US.  A family to two receives $420 a month.  You qualify for assistance if you are a refugee, Conditional Entrant,  Asylee, a victim of trafficking, Special Immigrant from Iraq or Afghanistan.  1-855-923-4633

Emergency Cash Assistance

Once a year, Emergency Cash Assistance is awarded to needy families.  You are eligible when your gross family income is at or below the Federal Poverty Guidelines and do not presently receive government assistance.   If you have a financial emergency like disconnection of utilities, eviction, or need emergency SNAP benefits, call 1-800-737-0617.

WTAP – Washington Telephone Assistance Program

The Lifeline is a federal government-mandated program that helps low-income consumers with free phone service.  Lifeline sponsored companies in the U.S.  help low-income families stay connected.   Lifeline is the FCC’s program that helps low-income individuals and families.

When you qualify, you can receive affordable landline and cell phone service.  You may qualify if you receive government assistance from TANF, SSI, SNAP, etc.  These phones help seniors, disabled, working low-income individuals.

Recent Posts

error: Content is protected !!