How to Apply for Government Assisted Housing

By | April 11, 2015

Government assisted housing, is a tremendous help to the disabled and low-income and working population. The federal housing program is not new. It was originally instituted during the Great Depression as a means of response to the Nation’s housing crisis.

Later in the century, the government devised subsidy programs to help in the development of low-income housing to meet the need of those having difficulty paying rent.

Let me address the myth that this type of housing is only for people on welfare. Many people living in government assisted housing, are hard-working people, yet their salaries are not sufficient to meet their living needs. You can rent public as well as private government housing.

They have to provide proof of income, have no felonies, and be law-abiding citizens. If rules of the government housing are violated, these persons are subject to losing the privilege of their subsidized living.

Our desire here is to try to direct to safe, affordable housing in decent neighborhoods where you can feel secure.

How Low-Income Housing Works

The Housing Authority partners with privately owned housing to provide subsidies for those in need. It is the Housing Authorities responsibility to screen applicants for this housing. Once a tenant is approved, the Housing Authority signs the lease and pays the difference between what the tenant pays and the market rate or the apartment.

This is why there is such a long waiting list, and it is a tremendous need for low-income housing all over the US. The government is now talking about cutting some of these entitlement programs, so the future of government assisted housing opportunities, are subject to change soon. Check with your city and state for changes.

Types of Housing Assistance Programs

1. Public Housing
2. Section 8 – Housing Choice Vouchers
3. Tax Credit Apartments – Income Restricted Communities

Most people are familiar with Public Housing and Section 8 or Housing Choice programs. Affordable Housing is actually the same thing. All three programs help low-income people by paying a portion of the rent, according to their income needs. Section 8 Housing can include apartment, public housing or private homes. Tax Credit Housing Communities are not as readily available but are more modern and easier to apply and be approved. Click on the links below to find out in-depth info about each program.

Applying for Government Assisted Housing

In 1962, the US Housing Act expanded the program with Section 23. Potential tenants are placed on is a list for housing. Many people are in need of this service and often; the waiting period can be extremely long. Single Women with children have priority over individual residents, for the obvious reasons. It is important for children to have a safe and comfortable home in which to live.

Qualifications for receiving Section 8 Housing. In order to receive Section 8, you must be below 50% of the area median income. The process of applying for low-income housing is free. If you come across anyone who what’s to charge you or the application, say no thanks and look a little further. When looking for housing programs you can also go to to locate government assisting housing programs in your state. Alternatively, housing authority agencies in your area.

  • Call or visit the housing authority
  • Get on the waiting list
  • Make sure you have proper documentation

Types of Government Assisted Housing Programs

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)

How to find HUD Subsidized Housing Properties? With the assistance of HUD, those looking for subsidized housing can locate available properties that offer reduced rent options to low-income families. HUD has a list of private and public subsidized housing. Go to, enter your county, city, and the number of rooms, etc. to see what is available. Contact the location for further details. For more information – 800-998-9999.

Public housing sometimes called projects assist the elderly, disabled, veterans, disadvantaged families find affordable housing. Contact number – 704-336-5183

Section 8 is a voucher program, which issues prospective tenants with an acceptance voucher for low-income housing. You have to look for a property owner that will accept their voucher. For more information call, 704-336-5183 or visit Section 8 Housing.

Mortgage Assistance Programs

This program works similarly to the other programs, except mortgage assistance helps those who need help to pay your mortgage.

How Apply for Low-Income Housing

Documenting your financial status

When you apply for government assisted housing, you will need to bring documentation to prove your status is accurate. Please bring all the proper documentation to avoid having to come back. If you are not sure what is required, simply make a phone call before you head out so that you are prepared.

To apply for low-income housing, please bring, pay stubs from your job, W-2, letters from SSI, DSS or any agency that is assisting you, as proof of income.

It is also advised to bring with your current proof of address, picture identification, social security cards, birth certificates of children and your residency status for you and everyone who will be living the dwelling.

Be Patient After you Apply

You can actually wait years, to be called for low-income housing. Go to HUD, ask for a list of landlords who take Section 8, and you could be moved up on the list quicker. Be patient and if your situation changes, such as experiencing a disaster in your city, be prepared to bring this proof to the housing agency.

This will be possible entitle you to be moved up on the list! Soon they will be calling you and your family to move into your new affordable home. Housing prices vary from state to state, but usually, you will be required to pay anything above 30% adjusted monthly income. Your rent will be based on your ability to pay more or less.

If later, you receive a raise on your job, your rent will be increased according to the salary increase. In order to continue to receive this assistance, you will be asked to bring updated pay stubs to verify your income.

33 thoughts on “How to Apply for Government Assisted Housing

  1. Maurice

    Need cash today, about to be evicted 72hrs. Me and my son will be homeless, have section 8,have a job.
    Just need to pay this rent . Been to DSS and been denied. What would you do . Called some charities, they say they don’t have it. I have section 8, need help ASAP!!!!! Don’t want to move.

  2. Pamela Wilson-Lipscomb Post author

    Maurice, try contacting HUD for rent assistance. It takes several months to put someone out for non-payment of rent. Hopefully you will get the help you need. Also, check and see if there is a Crisis Assistance program in your state.

  3. sally

    My name is Sally Garcia..I’m a mother of 5 kids..I really need help with a house or something.. I’m tired of living with family members..I get paid 7.50 an hour I don’t even make enough to pay bills or buy my kids there needs…

  4. Pamela Wilson-Lipscomb Post author

    Sally, it is a real challenge to raise children, even when you have a good job. There is no way you can take care of yourself and 5 children on that salary. Perhaps while you are living with family you can take a college course or two, that will help you get a better paying job. If you apply for TANF, which is assistance for children, you will also be able to attend school for free. There are a lot of assistance programs for single mothers look around the site.

  5. Gary LEE Freeman

    I am behind on my rent do to loosing my job of over 10 years.I own a mobile home and the park has filed in court to take possession and to evict me.I have nowhere to go and currently no income,My last paycheck was in april,ive been selling my belongings for food money.I have a vehicle but the tags are due so if i drive it it will get towed.My car is in impound because i drove it while the tags where due.And i dont have the money to get it out of impound.I applied for unemployment but have never reieved anything.I was in trouble when i was younger but got out in 2002 and have worked until the present.I am so cofused right now.if i commit crime nothing good would come of it.So that isnt an option.Is there any help available for me..On the first ill be about 2’500 behind.

  6. Pamela Wilson-Lipscomb Post author

    Gary, I am so sorry you are in this situation. First off I don’t know of any agency that will get you money to get your car out of impound. Please see if a friend or family member can help with that so you don’t lose your car. For the rent, contact HUD, the Salvation Army and Catholic charities. They will also give you a list of churches in you city who help with bills and food. Good Luck.

  7. Angela

    My fiancé got hurt at work and hasn’t been able to work for two weeks. we have rent and light bill coming up. His boss man is not giving him any workers comp. We need at least 1,000 to get caught up. If you, o anyone knows or can help please do. Thanks. God bless you all.

  8. sarah

    Was wondering about getting help to help me pay my back rent on my apartment.

  9. Stephanie Bivins

    I have not been able to work since June 2015. I suffered an aneurysm which I am still recovering from. I an currently applying for disability. I have depleted all my resources to pay all my bills. My landlord is preparing an eviction notice.
    I really do not know where to seek assistance.

  10. Pamela Wilson-Lipscomb Post author

    Stephanie, I am sorry for you recent medical problems, but glad they caught the aneurysm in time. Take a copy of your eviction notice to the any of these agencies: Department of Social Services, Catholic Charities, St Paul de Vincent Catholic Church, the Salvation Army. If approved they will contact you landlord notifying them they are working in your behalf to pay your rent and that should put a stop of the eviction.

  11. Stephanie Bivins

    Hello Pamela,

    Thanks so much for the information. I;ll keep you abreast on the outcome. God bless.

  12. kristina mora

    Me and my children are in need of low income housing. I’m not sure how to get it.

  13. erica peacock

    Please help me 912-755-8656 in need of paying my rent for this month please

  14. Pamela Wilson-Lipscomb Post author

    Hello Erica. To get help with bills, contact St. Paul de Vincent Catholic Church, Salvation Army, or Catholic Charities. To help stretch you money go to the food banks for help. Also go to the department of social services to get emergency assistance, and a referral to a food bank. You may also be eligible for emergency government assistance. Good luck.

    Pamela Lipscomb

  15. Joshua Osborn

    Im in need of help for rent we r 2 months behind and about to get evicted im unemployed my girlfriend is pregnant she works part time and i dont no what to do my email is [email protected] or phone number is 563-650-1197 if u can help me in some way i would appreciate it so much thank you
    Joshua osborn

  16. maria Rodriguez

    Hi, my name is Maria and I’m in need of help with my rent. I have been current with my rent until this month. I have ran in to financial problems and can’t pay my rent this month . my rent is 595 but I have a late fee of 35 and 5 dollars for everyday after. I’m the only income coming in at the moment. Please help so I don’t lose my place.

  17. Victoria kesler

    Its just me and my soon to be husband he lost his job due to the oil field, I am working as a waitress trying to make ends meet and I’m no where near close. I need help I have less than 36 hours to come up with $580.65 and if I don’t we will become homeless I need help!

  18. Free Financial Post author

    Hello, Victoria. You are really in a tight situation. I would suggest going to the Department of Social Services. They help with once a year financial assistance with rent utilities, etc.

  19. Kasandra Riley

    I really need help with paying my rent for this month, my rent is 1,623 i dont have it and i have been served and evidence have to be out by the 7th of next month. Is there away i could get help?

  20. Free Financial Post author

    Hello, Kasandra. There are a few places that can help you. First, the Department of Social services offers once a year financial assistance for rent, utilities, food. HUD and the Salvation Army may be able to help if funding is available. If you still can’t get help call 2-1-1 which is the United Way.

  21. Katrina casela

    Hi I am trying to find some grants to help us fix up our home. My husband is disabled, I work part time & we have 5 children so there isn’t much money left after paying bills to fix up our home.
    Any info or help would be greatly appreciated.

  22. Nancy Miller

    Hello! My name is Nancy, and I have a disability and need someplace to go! My landlord is going to throw me out on Friday and I will be on the streets of Quakertown PA. If I don’t have $170. By then. I have all the things that I could take out of my eviction. And no way can I be out walking around the streets of Quakertown PA with a walker and companion registered dog! I have food here and clothing plus other important things. PLEASE HELP!!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *