Free Child Care Assistance for Single Mothers

By | August 22, 2017
alt="free childcare"

 Free childcare assistance for single mothers.  Child care assistance helps military and all.  It helps mothers,  go to work, or back to school to further their education.  Daycare can be a very expensive venture, and many Mothers will need help with child care assistance if they are to continue to support their families.

This article will tell you how military and other families can get free assistance with childcare.  If you are employed, and low income, you need affordable daycare.  What do you do if you are working part-time or minimum wage?

Gone are the times when one parent went to work while the other stayed home with the kids.  Today, most families need two incomes to survive.   Find out how to get this help.

Free Child Care Assistance for Working Families

The Child Care and Development Fund is instrumental in providing low-income families assistance to pay for childcare while a parent or primary caregiver works or attends school.  Free child care assistance, is needed by many disadvantaged working families.

The Human Services Childcare Assistance Program, (CCAP), helps low-income families with federal child care assistance. This assistance is beneficial in helping young mothers, go back to school to get a better job, or a mother is already working.

Childcare assistance is the single most important things necessary to help single mothers remain employed.  Placing a child in daycare can easily take up to 50% of your gross income, especially if your have more than one young child.

Many women find that unless they have a high salaried job, it is cheaper to stay at home and try to live on their husband’s salary. What if you are the only income, your family has?  Good news! You may be eligible for childcare assistance.

Child Care Assistance for Military Families

Many military families struggle every day to care for the families. Those who are left behind to care for children, feel the added emotional and financial stress paying for childcare or rent.  Operation Military Child Care Program provides assistance to pay for child cares services for military families. 

The OMCC program is supported by Child Care Aware® of America and the United States Military Services.  They help provide fee assistance for Families of deployed military men and women.  To qualify, you must present verification of you orders with your application.  For more information, click on your branch of service below:

How to get Child Care Assistance

You may also go directly to your local Department of Social Service office to apply for child care assistance. At the office, you’ll have an opportunity to talk with someone about your household situation, and your needs so that you can make an informed choice about any services you want to receive.  You can even find out about Christmas toys for your children.

To Receive Childcare you must:

  • qualify financially
  • be custodial parent of a child under 13
  • work or attended school

Bring Necessary Documents

When you go to your local Human Services office, be sure you have the proper documentation such as social security cards for you and the children, proof of income or participation in a government assistance program.

Being prepared will speed up the time it takes us to process your application for childcare assistance.  The Department of Social Services will also give you a list of agencies and individuals who work with the program to provide childcare vouchers.  Don’t forget to ask about assistance with utilities.

Is There a Waiting List?

In many cases, there is a waiting list for getting child care assistance.  Contact Division of Child Development in your state to get further information, or to get placed on the list or receive a referral to licensed and approved child care providers in your county.

What are the requirements:

  • Be working no less than 30 hours a week
  • In school no less than 20 hours a week
  • Or working and in school a combined 30 hours a week

When you Choose a Child Care Facility it must be a:

  •  Licensed day care
  •  School program
  •  Licensed child care center run by the Department of Defense
  •  A home day care registered with the state; with no more than 6 children

How Do I Qualify?

You qualify for LIHEAP if you are receiving:

Other Childcare Resources

Child Care Sliding Fee Scales

Some childcare centers discount in the way of a scholarship or sliding scale for low-income families who qualify financially. If your gross income is at or 135% below the Federal Poverty Guideline, you may be able to discount child care services.

ASUO Child Care Adults Attend College

ASUO offers child-care subsidies for students attending college.  This benefit is funded by student fees; the subsidy offers financial help for child-care costs to eligible college students.  The subsidy is set at 20 – 50% of a  designated maximum amount for the fiscal year July 1 to June 30.

Go to  ASUO Child-Care Subsidies, or call (541) 346-0618.  If one parent is a student,  there may be financial help for childcare fees.

Apply for Childcare Assistance in your City

Child Care Services Division – Alabama
Alabama Department of Human Resources
50 Ripley Street
Montgomery, AL 36130-1801
General Phone: 334-242-1425

Child Care Program Office – Alaska
Division of Public Assistance
Alaska Department of Health and Social Services
Suite 140
3601 C Street
Anchorage, AK 99524
General Phone: 907-269-4500

Child Care Division – American Samoa
American Samoa Department of Human
and Social Services
5614 Tafuna
Pago Pago, AS 96799
General Phone: 684-633-1571

Child Care Administration – Arizona
Arizona Department of Economic Security
1789 West Jefferson Street
Phoenix, AZ 85007
General Phone: 602-542-4248

Division of Child Care and Early Childhood Education – Arkansas
Arkansas Department of Human Services
Little Rock, AR 72203
General Phone: 501-682-8590

Early Education and Support Division (EESD) – California
California Department of Education
1430 N Street, Suite 3410
Sacramento, CA 95814
General Phone: 916-322-6233

Division of Early Care and Learning – Colorado
Office of Early Childhood
Colorado Department of Human Services
1575 Sherman Street, First Floor
Denver, CO 80203
General Phone: 303-866-5958

Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands
Department of Community and Cultural Affairs
Capitol Hill, Caller Box 10007
1341 Ascension Drive
Saipan, MP 96950
General Phone: 670-664-2576

Bureau of Teaching and Learning – Connecticut
Office of Early Childhood
Connecticut Department of Social Services
Hartford, CT 06145
General Phone: 860-424-5006

Delaware Department of Health and Social Services – Delaware
Lewis Building
1901 North DuPont Highway
New Castle, DE 19720
General Phone: 302-255-9670

D.C. Office of the State Superintendent of Education – District of Columbia
810 1st Street, N.E
Washington, DC 20002
General Phone: 202-727-6436

Office of Early Learning – Florida
Florida Department of Education
250 Marriott Drive
Tallahassee, FL 32399
General Phone: 850-717-8550

Bright from the Start: Georgia Department of Early Care and Learning – Georgia
East Tower, Suite 670
2 Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive, S.E.
Atlanta, GA 30334
General Phone: 404-651-7432

Division of Public Welfare – Guam
Guam Department of Public Health and Social Services
123 Chalan Kareta
Mangilao, GU 96913
General Phone: 671-735-7300

Benefit, Employment, and Support Services Division – Hawaii
Hawaii Department of Human Services
Suite 606
820 Mililani Street
Honolulu, HI 96813
General Phone: 808-586-7187

Idaho Department of Health and Welfare – Idaho
Boise, ID 83720
General Phone: 208-334-5656

Office of Early Childhood – Illinois
Division of Family and Community Services
Illinois Department of Human Services
Second Floor
100 South Grand Avenue, East
Springfield, IL 62762
General Phone: 217-785-2559

Bureau of Child Care and Development – Illinois
Illinois Department of Human Services
Third Floor
401 South Clinton Avenue
Chicago, IL 60607
General Phone: 217-785-2559

Bureau of Child Care – Indiana
Division of Family Resources
Indiana Family and Social Services Administration
W-361, MS-02
402 West Washington Street
Indianapolis, IN 46204
General Phone: 317-232-1144

Bureau of Child Care and Community Services – Iowa
Division of Adult, Children and Family Services
Iowa Department of Human Services
Hoover State Office Building, Fifth Floor
1305 East Walnut Street
Des Moines, IA 50319
General Phone: 515-281-0429

Kansas Department for Children and Families – Kansas
Athene Building, Fourth Floor
555 South Kansas Avenue
Topeka, KS 66603
General Phone: 785-296-3349

Division of Child Care – Kentucky
Department for Community Based Services
Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family Services
CHR Building, Suite 3C-F
275 East Main Street
Frankfort, KY 40621
General Phone: 502-564-2524

Early Childhood Division – Louisiana
Louisiana Department of Education
1201 North Third Street
Baton Rouge, LA 70802
General Phone: 225-342-4147

Office of Child Care Family Services – Maine
Maine Department of Health and Human Services
11 State House Station
2 Anthony Avenue
Augusta, ME 04330
General Phone: 207-624-7900

Office of Child Care – Maryland
Division of Early Childhood Development
Maryland State Department of Education
10th Floor
200 West Baltimore Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
General Phone: 410-767-7128

Massachusetts Department of Early Education and Care – Massachusetts
Fourth Floor
51 Sleeper Street
Boston, MA 02210
General Phone: 617-988-6600

Child Development and Care Program – Michigan
Office of Great Start
Michigan Department of Education
608 West Allegan
Lansing, MI 48909
General Phone: 517-241-9492

Community Partnerships and Child Care Services – Minnesota
Minnesota Department of Human Services
St. Paul, MN 55155
General Phone: 651-431-4000

Division of Early Childhood Care and Development – Mississippi
Mississippi Department of Human Services
Jackson, MS 39205
General Phone: 601-359-4555

Early Childhood and Prevention Services Section – Missouri
Children’s Division
Missouri Department of Social Services
205 Jefferson Street
Jefferson City, MO 65101
General Phone: 573-751-6793

Montana Department of Public Health – Montana
and Human Services
Helena, MT 59620
General Phone: 406-444-1828

Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services – Nebraska
Lincoln, NE 68509
General Phone: 402-471-9208

Child Care and Development Program – Nevada
Division of Welfare and Supportive Services
Nevada Department of Health and Human Services
1470 College Parkway
Carson City, NV 89710
General Phone: 775-684-0630

Child Development Bureau – New Hampshire
Division for Children, Youth, and Families
New Hampshire Department of Health
and Human Services
129 Pleasant Street
Concord, NH 03301
General Phone: 603-271-8153

Division of Family Development – New Jersey
New Jersey Department of Human Services
6 Quakerbridge Plaza
Trenton, NJ 08625
General Phone: 609-588-2163

Early Childhood Services Division – New Mexico
New Mexico Children, Youth and Families Department
P.O. Drawer 5160
1120 Paseo de Peralta
Santa Fe, NM 87502

Division of Child Care Services – New York
New York State Office of Children and Family Services
South Building, Room 309
52 Washington Street
Rensselaer, NY 12144
General Phone: 518-474-9454

Division of Child Development and Early Education – North Carolina
North Carolina Department of Health
and Human Services
2201 Mail Service Center
820 South Boylan Avenue
Raleigh, NC 27603
General Phone: 919-527-6530

North Dakota Department of Human Services – North Dakota
Capitol Building, Department 325
600 East Boulevard Avenue
Bismarck, ND 58505
General Phone: 701-328-2310

Bureau of Child Care Policy and Technical Assistance – Ohio
Office of Family Assistance
Ohio Department of Jobs and Family Services
4200 East Fifth Avenue
Columbus, OH 43219
General Phone: 614-466-1213

Child Care Services – Oklahoma
Oklahoma Department of Human Services
Oklahoma City, OK 73125
General Phone: 405-521-3561

Office of Child Care – Oregon
Early Learning Division
Oregon Department of Education
775 Summer Street, N.E.
Salem, OR 97301
General Phone: 503-947-1400

Office of Child Development and Early Learning – Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania Departments of Human Services
Sixth Floor
333 Market Street
Harrisburg, PA 17126
General Phone: 717-346-9320

Puerto Rico Administration of Integral Child Care – Puerto Rico
and Development
San Juan, PR 00902
General Phone: 787-724-7474

Family and Children’s Services – Rhode Island
Rhode Island Department of Human Services
57 Howard Avenue, Third floor
Cranston, RI 02920
General Phone: 401-462-1390

Division of Child Care Services – South Carolina
South Carolina Department of Social Services
Columbia, SC 29202
General Phone: 803-898-9020

Division of Child Care Services – South Dakota
South Dakota Department of Social Services
700 Governors Drive
Pierre, SD 57501
General Phone: 605-773-4766

Child Care Services – Tennessee
Tennessee Department of Human Services
Citizens Plaza State Office Building
400 Deaderick Street
Nashville, TN 37243
General Phone: 615-313-4770

Workforce Policy and Program Assistance – Texas
Workforce Development Division
Texas Workforce Commission
Room 440-T
101 East 15th Street
Austin, TX 78778
General Phone: 512-463-6022

Office of Child Care and Regulatory Services – U.S. Virgin Islands
U.S. Virgin Islands Department of Human Services
3011 Golden Rock
Christiansted, VI 00820
General Phone: 340-773-2323

Office of Child Care – Utah
Utah Department of Workforce Services
140 East 300 South
Salt Lake City, UT 84111
General Phone: 800-622-7390

Child Development Division – Vermont
Department for Children and Families
Vermont Agency of Human Services
Buildings 2 and 3 North
103 South Main Street
Waterbury, VT 05671
General Phone: 802-241-1224

Division of Child Care and Early Childhood Development – Virginia
Virginia Department of Social Services
801 East Main Street
Richmond, VA 23219
General Phone: 804-726-7398

Washington State Department of Early Learning – Washington
P.O. Box 40970
Olympia, WA 98504-0970
General Phone: 360-725-4665

Division of Early Care and Education – West Virginia
Bureau for Children and Families
West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources
Room B-18
350 Capitol Street
Charleston, WV 25301
General Phone: 304-558-7980

Division of Early Care and Education – Wisconsin
Wisconsin Department of Children and Families
201 East Washington Avenue
Madison, WI 53708-8916
General Phone: 608-261-8684

Early Childhood Division – Wyoming
Wyoming Department of Family Services
Hathaway Building, Third Floor
2300 Capitol Avenue
Cheyenne, WY 82002
General Phone: 307-777-7564

6 thoughts on “Free Child Care Assistance for Single Mothers

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *