Texas Rent Assistance – State and Local Assistance Programs

Texas rent assistance programs helps many low-income Texans, get into new housing, and prevent evictions.  It can be frustrating when you work, yet still, struggle with rent and mortgage payments.  Rent assistance programs, provide the support needed to bring added security to residents every year.

Millions of Americans work 40 or more hours a week and still have to get help from the government, and other organizations.  Sadly, this is the new normal, for far too many people.   There are state and local programs and charities, that specialized in providing financial help to low-income, elderly and the disabled.

If you live in Texas and are facing eviction,  try not to panic.  There are many places that offer Texans help with rent.  We will provide you with a list of state, local and government organization and charities, that will pay your past due rent or mortgage.

alt="Texas rent assistance "Getting Rent Assistance in Texas

If you are facing eviction, there are programs that will help you pay past due rent.  You can get a voucher from the Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs (TDHCA) to help pay your rent and security deposit when renting a new dwelling.  1-(800) 525-0657

  • Project Access (Voucher) Program – This program offers money for rent, for those who qualify financially. They do not give clients cash, but the voucher is used to give directly to the landlord or owner of the dwelling.  Vouchers can not be exchanged or used for any other purpose.
  • Section 811 –  The Section 811 program helps the disabled who live independently in subsidized communities with assistance services. Section 811 provides rental payments to disadvantaged individuals of the Target Population.

Target Population includes:

  • People with developmental and intellectual disabilities.
  • Youth with disabilities who live in foster care.
  • Those with disabilities who wish to transition from an institution to independent living.
  • Those with severe mental illness receiving services, but experiencing obstacles because of housing instability.
  • Section 8 – The Statewide Housing Assistance Payments Program (Section 8) gives rental subsidy vouchers to families earning less than 50 percent of the federal poverty guidelines, they also provide assistance to the elderly and disabled with affordable housing.

Texas Rent Assistance and Security Deposits

Renting an apartment can be expensive depending on where you live.  Most properties charge one or more months rent, processing charges, and deposits.  Now understandable, these fees protect the rental property in the case of damages or the renter skips of the apartment.  When you are low-income these fees can really add up and are sometimes a hindrance to getting an apartment.

The Tenant Based Rental Assistance Program helps low-income residents with security and utility deposits; and pays rent for up to two years, while until the person becomes self-sufficient. Must meet program income requirements.

Emergency TANF Assistance

One-Time TANF

One-Time TANF, is offered to families once a year. 

  • If you are a family with children age 18 and younger
  • You are unemployed with no resources
  • You are in danger of losing your home of medical emergency

This help is available, for families with children age 18 and younger if you qualify financially and have an eviction notice, utilities are about to be or are turned off, or you are a victim of a disaster such as a flood or fire. You do not have to be on welfare rolls to get assistance.  This program provides money for:

  • Food
  • Housing
  • Utilities
  • Furniture
  • Clothing
  • Transportation
  • Medical Supplies not covered by Medicaid

Texas Emergency Assistance

Charities & Religious Organizations

Charities, such as The Salvation Army, Catholic Charities, or the Red Cross may be able to provide emergency help paying rent and utilities.  These Texas rent assistance agencies are funded by individual donations, federal programs. These agencies not only help pay rent, utilities, clothing, food, medical assistance, job training, and more.

Each charity’s  yearly funding is limited and must be extended to as many as possible.  Texas rent assistance programs operate on a first come, first serve basis.   You may also not receive the entire amount you need from one organization.  For example, if you are facing eviction and need $2,500 to keep your home or apartment, you may receive only $300 from one agency. and have to go to others to get the full amount.

This can be time-consuming and frustrating, but being mentally prepared for the process helps.  In the end, you will not have to experience eviction.  All charities will have a list of other locations where you can go for rent and other needs.

It can be frustrating and embarrassing, but keep in mind you need a place to live.  This is a temporary situation and things will get better.  You may also get help with a list of food banks and church pantries, that can also provide you with groceries.

For further information to Local Independent Charities of America, to locate a charity that can give you the help you need. (800) 876-0413

15 Replies to “Texas Rent Assistance – State and Local Assistance Programs

  1. I need assistance with paying yearly water bill in Missouri and any other available opportunities in Missouri such as electricity and auto repairs as well thank you

  2. I recently moved into my own place in May after living with friends for two years. I hsve been early paying my rent for the past 3 months. I’m on SSI for a heart condition plus I work part-time. I was away for a funeral towards the end of August and when I returned home on the 30th I was going to get a money order as slways to pay my rent. When I checked my checking account balance I found that my money had been taken out to cover a payment for my student loans. I get paid from my job this Wednesday but only have half of my rent and nothing left for my utilities or car payment. I can’t move back in with my friends because they moved to a smaller place. I applied for section 8 housing voucher but there is a 2 year waiting list. I need help fast.

  3. I am a single grandmother raising my four grandchildren ages 13;.11, 9 & 7.I am on a tight budget I received a widow’s DIC Check and my grandson revives ssi and I have no child support. We have been homeless for 3 Mont’s when the first comes around I pay the people we stay with.I can’t get into a homebody want them money.

  4. Hello, I am reaching out in hopes that you can point me in the right direction as I am at my wits end. I will try to spare all the details and get to the jist of it. I need to find some kind of help with home repairs. We own our home and have lived in for 15 years and have raised 6 children there 3 of which still live there. I have done repairs myself through the years because we cant afford to move and pay rent. but we are at a point now where I can’t do it and we can’t afford to have it done. We have electric issues, plumbing issues, the peer & beam system underneath is starting to rot and floors are dipping in, we had a hot water tank bust a few months ago which I replaced but the floor beneath it is about to fall and there is mold I presume from where the water from the old one had leaked. Our AC is halfway working, we need a new roof because when it rains hard enough we get leaks, several other little things that I am trying to fix, we also have a washer on its last leg that we bought to replace one that went out…we have 2 refrigerators and they are both probably fixing to go out. Its just like we cant get a loan and insurance wont cover anything. we have bought what we could when we could and patched things up best we could but just cant do it anymore. please tell me where I can turn for help. Thank you

  5. Hello, Jackie. Contact United Way for all the agencies that help with rent in your city. Also call Salvation Army, and DSS for emergency help with bills.

  6. I’m on the verge of losing my apartment this month due to not being able to pay full rent. I’m a hardworking single mother. But unfortunately all of sudden without prior notice my payroll checks started getting garnished last month due to student loans. So I’m falling behind. Dear god please help. I was jus starting to get up on my feet. Please thx.

  7. I’m looking for help paying my Rent which is $595.00 my water and help to get my husband and I back and forth to work. We just got a job at Hugo Wal-Mart and are looking at loosing our home with 3 kids.

  8. I am 73 yrs old . I have gotten behind in my mortgage and must havehave $2227 by the 30th . Or lose my home . Can you help me some


  9. Hello Joyce. We have only a few days before Christmas and the charities have closed registration. Try contacting the larger Lutheran Church and other Large denomination church to see if anything can be done. Good luck.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *