How to get Help with Rent

Help with Rent.  There are many people struggling. Some are struggling more than others. There are actually people, who need help paying the rent. If you are facing eviction, and cannot pay your most important bill, this statement, is a cry for immediate help! This article can give you some suggestions where you can go to get help.

There are many government and community organizations that are in place, to help people who are suffering financial hardships. They not only will help with rent but can also provide assistance with food, clothing. You are not alone in this, and there are places you can go, to get the help you need.

It will not be easy, and you will be required to provide proper documentation of your financial status, identity, and proof of address. You will have to go to several places to get the money, but if you are fortunate you will get real help in the end.

Department of Social Services Gives Help with Rent

Go online or call the  Department of Social Services in your area. You will save a lot of time if you do most of your searching online. If you do not have a computer, go to the local library. You don’t have to be on public assistance to receive help from the DSS. Often you can go to them for a one-time help assist with your rent if you are behind and emergency food stamps.

Once you sit down with a worker, let them know everything you need help with rent and anything else you need. If you qualify for emergency food stamps, this will help you to put most of the money you have to your bills. Keep in mind to bring with you all the documentation you will need to receive services. 1-800-333-4636

 The Community Action Agency (CAA)

Community Action Agencies are private or public nonprofit organizations. Their mission is the combat poverty in poverty-stricken areas across the United States.  The Community Action Agency (CAA) network is a government-funded organization. Every year they are given resources to distribute to struggling families in the community. They provide emergency assistance with bills like rent, help with utilities, and emergency help with food and other basic needs.  

The federal government Economic Opportunity Act (EOA) expanded into other community action groups. Their goal is not only to help families pay bills but to help strengthen communities and make families more self-sufficient.  The government gives these community action group grants which are distributed to qualified families.  This network includes private, public and non-profit agencies across over 1000 U.S. communities.

Faith-Based Organizations Help with Rent

There are many large and local churches in your community that receive money from the member donations and the government to assist the poor.  In order to get help, you must provide documentation to prove your identity and financial status. When you go for help, make sure to bring

  • Picture identification
  • Social security card
  • Proof of address  
  • Utility bills
  • Eviction notice
  • Payroll stubs
  • Unemployment verification 
  • Documentation from government agency

If funds are available payment arrangement will be negotiated with your landlord or mortgage and they will receive payment directly.  You may only receive a portion of the money you and may have to go to other help more people. This means you will have to go to several organizations to get all your rent paid.

Charities, such as The Salvation Army, Catholic Charities, or the Red Cross may be able to assist you in paying your rent.  Go here Local Independent Charities of America, to locate a charity that can give you the help you need. (800) 876-0413

Keep in mind, if you qualify for assistance, you may not be able to get all the help from one agency. You may not be able to get anything at all. Many people need help and often the funds run out.  In that case, you will be given a list of other locations that can help you pay the rent.

It will be frustrating and embarrassing, but keep in mind you need a place to live. This is a temporary situation and this too shall pass! You may also get help with a list of food banks and church pantries, that can also provide you with groceries.

How to Get Rent Assistance in your State here