Government Financial Assistance Programs for Families

By | May 21, 2015

Government financial assistance programs help families with rent or other bills. Are you experiencing long-term unemployment or waiting for disability benefits to be approved? There are many government programs that provide free financial help for low-income families.

These resources have been put in place to help American citizens and residents who need temporary emergency help. There are even programs that give away free Christmas toys to kids every year.

The best thing about government assistance programs is, there are agencies in every city, and unlike a private of the community-based program, they don’t run out of money as often. Most of these residents, do not have the financial support of family or friends and have to resort to seeking supplemental assistance.

U.S. states receive block grants to use at their suggestion to help people eligible for aid. Previously called, Aide to Families with Dependent Families or AFDC, the program gives temporary financial assistance to families with children under 18. Those participating, are required to find work within a 24-month period.

Free Financial Help Paying Bills, will regularly bring you information on both private and government programs that:

  • Free medical clinics
  • Subsidy to pay electric bills
  • Free and low-cost dental care
  • Housing assistance programs
  • Grants to start your own business
  • Help you pay your bills like rent, mortgage
  • Lifeline free landline and cell phone service
  • Government grants to go to school, and more

Government Assistance Programs

Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF). TANF helps many suffering families all over the United States, Puerto Rico, Hawaii, Alaska and Indian Territories. They help by providing finances to pay for housing, utilities, food and supplemental necessities such as food, electricity and housing costs for a period of time.

Many of these families have one or more adults working in the home, yet the income is not sufficient to maintain their basic needs. Unforeseeable circumstances such as an illness, or the loss of a job, can suddenly cripple an otherwise stable family. This government assistance is designed to support families and offer government assistance for veterans, for as long as the support is needed.

If you are a family with children under 18, you may be eligible for temporary assistance from the government, even if you work. You can apply at your local or county welfare office, or go online to download an application. Locate your state contact information for local TANF help. If you have been denied in the past and your financial situation has changed, please apply again with updated proof of your income. (Federal Poverty Guidelines for Alaska and Hawaii)

Apply for help: Temporary Assistance for Needy Families

Number of Family Income Requirements
1 $11,770
2 15,930
3 20,090
4 24,250
5 28,410
6 32,570
7 36,730
8 40,890

Government Financial Assistance for Pregnant Women

These federal benefits are made available to anyone who is in need and qualifies financially and you meet requirement according to federal government standards. You do not have to wait until you give birth to your child, for these services, you can apply when you are three months. You are eligible if:

  • You are US resident
  • You are at least 3 months pregnant
  • You or children must have alien status
  • Children under 18 who are in school
  • Each family has a social security number
  • The family falls within or below the state’s required poverty level
  • You are a non-resident living in the US for 5 years or more

WIC (Women Infants and Children) Assistance

WIC or woman, infants, and children are a supplement program that provides federal grants to U.S. states for approved supplemental foods, health care, parenting, and nutritional education for disadvantaged, pregnant women and children under five years old. Their goal is to improve the health and well-being of at-risk children.

Other Government Assistance for Families (Ayuda Para Tu Familia)

When applying for temporary assistance, you will need proper documentation to proof, you family size, your income, or proof of employment and your address. Gather the necessary documents and bring as many as you can get, at the time you enroll. This will get the process started, and you will receive a letter of what other documents you need to present and the deadline you have to return them. These are some of the document you will need to bring when filing for financial assistance:

  • birth certificate
  • payroll stubs
  • residence status
  • current electricity bill
  • social security for adults and children cards
  • unemployment benefits letter
  • bank statement if you have an account

How to get SNAP/Food Stamps

The Food and Nutrition Service Program is an assistance program, that helps low-income resident buy food. It is funded by the federal government gives those enrolled a set amount each month, to purchase food, and food products for their families.

Disadvantaged families don’t always have the money to provide their family with the healthiest food choices. The goal of this program is to improve nutrition and health. As an entitlement program, anyone can receive help, as long as they meet financial eligibility requirement.

SNAP benefits can only be used to purchase food items. Products that are not allowed are tobacco, alcohol, pet food, or paper products. When you are approved for TANF, your assistance will include SNAP, Medicaid and a monthly financial assistance check for rent, utilities, and basics. You will also get SNAP card to use to purchase food.

SNAP – Apply Online

Work for Welfare

If adults living in the home are unemployed, they are required to participate in the work for welfare program (non-paid position), or a job training program. This program has been suspended in many states.

Going Back to School

If you would like to return to school, to learn a trade or certificate of nursing degree, there are also financial programs that will allow you to do so. If you are looking to return to school, there are also child care grants available. There are a limited amount of money for childcare, so you should sign up for childcare assistance as soon as possible.

Educational Resources to go to School

Winter Heating Assistance (LIHEAP)

You may also be eligible for Winter heating assistance. It is not too late to start thinking about winter heating costs, or cooling costs if you live in a hot climate. LIHEAP helps disadvantaged families each year with heating and cooling costs. When you apply for the heating assistance program, through the Department of Social Services, or private poverty organization, you can receive a check the first week in January, to help you pay heating or cooling bills. The best time to apply for help is in last Summer. Funding is limited and preference is given to families with children.

CLICK HERE to find help for winter heating assistance from LIHEAP

Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program
HHS, Administration For Children and Families
Office of Community Services, Division of Energy Assistance
Aerospace Building, 5th Floor West
370 L’Enfant Promenade, S.W.
Washington, D.C. 20447

37 thoughts on “Government Financial Assistance Programs for Families

  1. Lynne

    Thank you for all of this valuable information and financial resources for disadvantage people.

  2. Ndudo Emmanuel Chukwuemeka

    Am a Nigerian. I know am obviously not eligible for the aids, am only hoping on luck. I really need financial assistance to pay my house rent bill. Please, dont ignore my sincere request for assistance. +2348035752937

  3. Melissa browning

    I am desperately in need of assistance to pay my bills, home repairs and rent . My husband has skipped out on me and my children . Leaving me with over due bills no money and in danger of water and electric being turned off and also facing eviction for months of past due rent. PLEASE can you help me??

  4. Pamela Wilson-Lipscomb Post author

    We are not associated with any organization and do not give money. We are, however, a resource to help you locate the financial assistance you need to pay bills, to care for your family in difficult times. Most assistance programs require your gross yearly income to be at or below 135% of the federal poverty. If you quality, you may get help with rent. Contact Catholic Charities or HUD to see if you can get help with the rent.Also, if you children are under the age of 18, consider going to the Department of Social Services, to see how they can help. Good luck

  5. Kathleen Pasquale

    I have yet to find any assistance anywhere….. I am in emergency mode and I have yet to locate any HELP!!!!!!
    I have been without electric for over months now. I am not looking for a handout. I want to work, I am over qualified or under qualified. I am 59 almost ready to retired and I have nothing. If there is really some help out there please give me some direction.
    Thank you, Kathleen Pasquale
    [email protected]
    New JERSEY.

  6. Pamela Wilson-Lipscomb Post author

    Kathleen, try going to the Salvation Army and Catholic Charities. Also you may be able to get Emergency assistance from the Department of Social Services. They will help you and give you a list of referral services in your state. Good luck!

  7. Pamela Wilson-Lipscomb Post author

    Hello Cara, thanks for writing. This is how assistance programs work. How they determine if you can receive help is by your gross family income. They are set up to help emergency situations for families in danger of immediate eviction or having utilities cut off, emergency food pantries, temporary housing,etc. They never give cash, and pay the landlord or utility company directly. They do not pay car notes, insurance, phone bills,etc. I hope this helps. Let us know if we can specifically help you.

  8. Rebecca Campos

    I am needing help to pay rent. Have never asked for help but been struggling for months now. We didn’t have good for Thanksgiving but that’s a whole other issue. Thank you for your time

  9. Sara Fernandez

    I am needing help to get my mortgage caught up I am about to loose my home, I have applied for a loan modification several times and each time I have been denied. I have been struggling for a year or longer, Now I am on medical leave due to having kidney cancer. I deknow what to do at this point. I have no place to go. I have my grand and great grand that I have been providing for.please help.
    Thank you

  10. Pamela Wilson-Lipscomb Post author

    Sara, you are not alone in your need for assistance with bills. There are charities and non-profit organization that will do their best work with you. Please begin to contact the agencies in the post below. They help with bills, counseling, prayer, food, clothing, etc. God bless you.

    Churches and Charities that Help

  11. Tracy

    HELP PLEASE. I AM DISABLE AND NEED $2475. 00 to pay my rent arrears.
    My paylpal account is [email protected]
    Tracy B
    [email protected]

  12. Pamela Wilson-Lipscomb Post author

    Hello Tracy. Free Financial Help does not give money. We do however direct people to organizations that can help. These agencies do not give cash, but send a check to your landlord, utility company etc. Please contact the Department of Social Services, Catholic Charities, Salvation Army, St Paul de Vincent Catholic Church to see if they can assist you. Depending on amount pf your bill, you may have to go to more than one place to get all the money you need.

    Good Luck

  13. Francisco Oliver

    Afternoon my name is F.oliver I have pretty much been homeless couch surfing for last 10 years I’m am mentally disabled (schizophrenia bi polar depression) as well as a minor physical disability(lowerback) I receive SSI in new York state at $733 a month I have been in the shelter system to no avail and for the last 3 ½ years have had a small service lap dog for emotion support and to help comfort me through my illness and tough times .im on the verge on spending another winter on the streets I’m seeking help in finding a program that will help me find affordable housing I have no steady place to sleep at night ..I do have a mailing address I pick up NY mail periodically .. I’m in desperate need of help I’m at my wits ends and feel at the end of NY rope at this point my email is [email protected] even if you can not directly assist me but lead me in a direction I can I will appreciate any help or advice… Have a blessed day

  14. Mithlesh Kumar

    I need financial help for my pregnant wife because my income is very low please help me in India

  15. Pamela Wilson-Lipscomb Post author

    Hello Mithlesh: I am sorry you are having this trouble. Unfortunately, these programs are for those living in the United. Please look for “assistance programs” in India.

  16. Terry

    I need help with getting apartment I’m homeless and don’t have enough to move in apartment if there and help out there let me know

  17. Michelle Lofton

    IM homeless an need help asap I been sleeping in my car going to work its just not enough when I have car payment insurance an putting gas in car etc.tell me what or where to go for help?

  18. Pamela Wilson-Lipscomb Post author

    Michelle: Please contact the DSS for emergency assistance. They have help with emergency help with bills, utilities, food etc. once a year for those not presently receiving assistance. If you qualify financially they help you once a year with rent, food, utility problems, etc. Also check out Charities that Help with Bills.

  19. cecilia

    I need financial help for the payment of my house rental, utilities, pay bills and everyday food consumptions…

  20. Elaine

    I need help so I won’t be homeless boyfriend died Feb 29th and I can’t afford the rent need help

  21. Billie Jean Gersbach

    Im looking for a low income inpatient drug rehab. I livt i chambers county. I dont.k ow the first thing on how to get in a place like this. I need to find out asap. Thanks. Sincerely, Billie Jean Gersbach

  22. Robert

    Hello my name is Robert my wife and I just mived from California to oregon. We moved to escape drugs. Unfortunately were we moved to isn’t any better, and were currently are living pay check to pay check. If any body knows of any housing assistance programs in Salem OR please help.

  23. Suzanna Lewis

    I am disabled I tried for two and a half months to get help with my rent I wasn’t able to and now I am being evicted

  24. Free Financial Post author

    Hello, Suzanna. Please start by contacting HUD and United Way. Have to gone to DDS they offer emergency assistance for those who qualify financially, even if they are not receiving assistance?

  25. Brenda

    What about Senior Citizens? I think it’s a crying shame that we have to get used to having nothing in the state of Tennessee.. I need a partial denture but there is a 2 to 1 year waiting list through organizations in Knoxville. We don’t matter one bit.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *