Benefits and Grants – Low-Income Assistance Programs

By | April 10, 2015

Benefits and Grants – Low-Income Assistance Programs. Below is a short list of government benefits and grants, that can help the unemployed and working, but earning low wages. Recessions come and go, but creative and resourceful people will always survive life’s storms. The government has formed programs such

Recessions come and go, but creative and resourceful people will always survive life’s storms. The government has formed programs such money for childcare, help with rent, utilities, and heating grants.

These programs are income based and try to help the hardest hit citizens to care for their families. If you are unemployed, working part-time or working two jobs and still struggling, we hope you find something on our this site that is beneficial to you.

We will be regularly posting new tips on affordable housing, grants, and other resources to help you and your family, improve the quality of your life. Find out more information about the help that is available to you.

“Poverty is not a judgement. It is a state of deprivation, or a lack of the usual or socially acceptable amount of money or material possessions.” Wikipedia

Benefits and Grants

Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program

LIHEAP is a great help for households experiencing financial shortages. LIHEAP benefits offer grants to go towards utility bills, by making home repairs that will help lower energy costs. Typical repairs may be insulating drafty windows and doors, wrapping water heaters, patching roofs, etc.

Eligibility requirements for LIHEAP assistance may differ from state to state. If your income is at or 250% below the federal poverty guidelines, you may be eligible. Please check with the LIHEAP office in your area.

Children’s Health Insurance

Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) work together to provide health insurance to children living in low-income families without health insurance. If you have four or more children or more and live in poverty according to the Federal Poverty Guidelines may be eligible for health care for their child through the Insure Kids Now program. This health care covers dental, immunization, prescriptions and visits to the doctor.

Lifeline Free Cell Phone Plans

Lifeline provides free and discount landline and cell phone services to low-income consumers who qualify financially. Each family is allowed one phone line and must re-certify every year to keep service. Also, each year you must re-certify that you qualify if you want to continue receiving Lifeline assistance.

There are dozens of free phone providers all over the United States and US territories. If you, receive SNAP, Medicare, WIC, Disability, government assistant programs, you may qualify.

Nutrition Assistance

Government nutritional programs, make sure that no family or individual who qualifies financial will go hungry. Many disadvantaged families include seniors, the disabled, and families who are unemployed or underemployed. If you need help with food, apply for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) for monthly food assistance for your household. You may also qualify for free or discount lunch program for your school-aged children.

Free Dental Care

Going to the dentist is not a privilege, it is a necessity for your physical health and appearance. There are many dentists that offer their services to help low-income families with dental care. With companies laying off workers and cutting back on hours, you can lose your medical benefits. There are doctors and dentists who donate their time and skills to treat those who don’t have dental insurance. Find out where to get free dental care.

Free Daycare Programs Help Moms

It is a known fact that childcare can take up to 50% of your salary, especially if you have more than one child. Many women decided to stay home altogether, because of the cost of child care, the cost of childcare takes all or most of their salaries. When there are no profits to working, the best choice can be to be a stay at home mom and live on one salary.

Most single moms do not have the luxury of staying at home. Especially Moms working a low wage job. They have no choice but to work and try to survive on one salary to care for their families. Consider taking advantage of the benefits and grants the government offers.

As a mom, the most important thing is to work and care for your family. If you are a single mother that needs help paying for daycare, you may qualify for this resource: 1-888-LAHELP-U (1-888-524-3578), DHS Child Care Assistance Program. Keep in mind that there is a certain amount

Free Christmas Toys

Christmas comes every year and every year some families don’t have the finances to buy toys for Christmas. Christmas is not just about toy and gifts, but you look into the eyes of a small child and tell them Christmas is not about them.

There are some organizations like the Salvation Army, Toys for Tots, Angel Tree, and many Religious Organization provides free Christmas toys of kids every year. *Read more about how to receive free toys for Christmas

Food Banks

Many times even when families receive SNAP benefits they run out of food. Every community has churches and other organizations that have food pantries that give out groceries to needy families. Some places you can walk in and get help, but other places you need a referral from the Department of Social Services or community organization.

Food banks usually give out food based on the number of people in the family. Larger organization, like organizations like the Catholic Church also give out meat, toiletries, and other items. Find a food bank in your community.

74 thoughts on “Benefits and Grants – Low-Income Assistance Programs

  1. Cassie Odongo

    I’m needing help to pay for my rent I’m living in a hotel week by week and barley getting by and I’m trying to start a small business to so I can find work I am a nurses Ade trying to make it and hoping I can be a better mom to my son so I just need help with the rent

  2. Jacqueline Arwood

    Please help us. My sister lost her job and now we can’t pay rent or utilities. I only draw a small disability check and it covers toilet paper etc.. She has a 14 yr old daughter that just started high school and now we are going to be on the streets. I have never been homeless. I am scared. Can you help?

  3. Pamela Wilson-Lipscomb Post author

    Jacqueline, we are not associated with any organization and do not give money. We are, however, a resource to help you locate the financial assistance you need to pay bills, to care for your family in difficult times. If you quality, you may get help with rent and utilities. Contact Catholic Charities or HUD to see if you can get help with the rent. Also, if you children are under the age of 18, consider going to the Department of Social Services, for emergency assistance and expedited Food Stamps. Good luck

  4. leebonilla

    Me gustaria que help for toy my babys en crismat me gustari ayuda para tener gujetes para mis hijos en navida grasias 4073012720

  5. Pamela Wilson-Lipscomb Post author

    Lee Bonilla, Si usted necesita ayuda con los juguetes de Navidad para sus hijos. Póngase en contacto con las agencias mencionadas en el artículo. Póngase en contacto con ellos ahora. Buena suerte

  6. Richard Bullock

    We just had a new born baby born 7 weeks early due to a car wreck we travel 170 miles 3 Times a week to keep her alive we fell behind on rent and car payment we need help could you help us

  7. Lyvonne Washington

    I am a single mother, who is currently unemployed and looking for assistance with providing a good Christmas for my 6yr old daughter. Any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated.

  8. stacy

    Hi I’m trying to get help for a family this year for Christmas the farther was the only one working until July he cut his leg bad with a saw there is no in come coming in they have 2 kids one that is a son is 14 and a disabled daughter that’s 28 if u want to help thanks

  9. Brittany rudder

    I need help with my kids Christmas gifts please

  10. barbara woodrum

    I’m just a grand mother living off s.s. and have no way to get my grand children anything for christmas

  11. Shanta Lovett

    Im new to the city n lm barely makin enough to make rent and other things. I just want to give my kids a good Christmas this year being that its there first year here.

  12. Pamela Wilson-Lipscomb Post author

    Hi Shanta, I am sorry to say that registration is closed for the free toy programs. Try calling some community churches to see if they can help.

  13. Terry

    Hi my name is Terry and just move to Mississippi and lost my job after 3weeks moving here and I fell. Behind on my rent I’m about to loose everything including my family because I’m trying to stop the eviction I just started working and my truck broke down so I’m not able to make money until it’s fix please if know anyone can help or give me some advice

  14. Pamela Wilson-Lipscomb Post author

    Hello Terry, I am sorry you are going through such a hard time now. Try contacting the Catholic Charities. Good Samaritian Center (601) 355-6276. Salvation Army (601) 982-4881. Take you eviction notice to one or more of these agencies. If financial assistance is available they will help. You will most likely have to go to several places to get the whole rent. Good luck

  15. Jane Campos

    Hi I am Jane I have been out of work for about 4 months. I have drained all my money and am behind on my space rent . I tried for General Assistant s loan but because my mobile home is worth over the 600 limit 1200 I did not qualify they agent told me this morning .. After crying and self pity . I went to a job interview . I have been homeless before not looking forward to another winter in my car . I t could be worse some people don’t have any shelter I under stand. Any job offers Retail and of clerical . rental assistant help any thing at this point will most appreciated

    thank you
    Jane Campos happy holidays

  16. Benjamin Jackson

    I am the head of Prayer, Power, and Hope Ministries in the New York area we trying find out where we might get some toys for low income families.

  17. Pamela Wilson-Lipscomb Post author

    Hi Benjamin. Registration for the free toy program is closed. There are so many families that need help, you must apply early. Present the need to the church. If each person buys one toy, it would be a help to a few families God bless

  18. Pamela Wilson-Lipscomb Post author

    Hello Jane, I am sorry you have lost your job. When you say you are behind on your space rent, I assume you mean for your mobile home. There are programs that help with rent. It seems to be the same thing if you are behind in your space rent. Try contact the charities in the post below. If they can not help perhaps they can lead you to someone who can. It will be very tedious contact everyone, but don’t give up.

    Church Assistance Programs

  19. Lindsay Young

    Hi I need help with rent, and christmas can someone please contact me I am not finding any help locally

  20. Nilda

    Hello, my name is Nilda, I am a disabled veteran with financial hardship in 3 months of backup rent, cell phone bill, and money. I would gladly appreciate anyone’s help, I will keep everyone in my prayers and thoughts, may God continue to bless everyone always.

  21. Pamela Wilson-Lipscomb Post author

    Hello Nilda, First, I would like to thank you for your service to this country. There are a few places that can help you with this, particularly if you have a Notice of Eviction. In the like below there are several agencies that may be able to help. Good luck and God bless you!

    Church Assistance Programs

  22. Karla Rodriguez

    To whom it may concern,

    I am sadden to see the deadline to request toys has passed. Due to my current situation, I was phone-less with no available connection to the internet until today. My name is Karla Rodriguez, 24 years old. I am a single mother to a 3 year old boy named Maximus and a full time student at Golden West College. Due to my financial situation, all the money I currently have and will be squiring is going to be to cover my rent and pay the bills to avoid disconnection. I won’t have any sort of money left to buy my toddler Christmas gifts. I was receiving snap, and Calworks but due to missed appointments because of my school schedule, I was dismissed from such programs. I have no help whatsoever and my last resource is to resort to toys for tots. I understand I was late for this request but please keep me and my son in mind if there happens to be an extra toy for him or if there is another place I can contact before Christmas arrives.

    When I have the financial means after I graduate college I know I will pass down the same kind gestures you all do for our community.

    God bless you all,

    Karla Rodriguez

    (562) 336-9697

    1067 E Carson St Apt D
    Long Beach Ca 90807

  23. Pamela Wilson-Lipscomb Post author

    Hello Karla:

    Concerning receiving a toy for your little one, It is too late to register, but the larger denominational local churches are a place I would suggest contacting. The Lutheran church does a lot of outreach to the community. Perhaps you can find some help there. Good luck.

    Church Assistance Programs

  24. Daniel Tha uk

    When I see this organazation I am so happy.My name is Daniel Tha Uk, living in Yangon, Myanmar(formal Burma) and I belong to Presbyterian Church. I have a disabled daughter.She is now three years old but she knows nothing. She does not have suture and her brain is mixed with water her brain is only half in compair with others. Doctors say she is incurable. She has convulsion at least three times a day. She can not carry her head and she can not sit, eat, hear and see. My monthly income is only $50. And my wife is now five month pregnat. So I used all of my time to takecare of them. Because I have to give all of my time for them, nobody likes me as worker. Actually I can speak English little and have a degree MASTER OF ART IN BIBLICAL STUDY but my ability can not do anything for my family.
    So, if you see my comment and have pity on me please let me receive your help.I know that even your smallest help is the biggest for my family.As you know, our country is very poor and there is no help. There is no way that We can get money. Tha most thing We need is money. We can eat only when we have money. I am hardly strugling for food. So please don’t ignore my message and my asking for help.
    There may be many misspellings and wrong grammar please forgive me..
    thank you so much.
    With greatly hoping your help
    Mr Daniel Tha uk. myanmar.

  25. florina marinas

    hi my name florina marinas. im 36 years old im a single parent of 3 soon to be 4 kids. just recently lost my job al my savings went on rent and food. dont have any help or support from family or friends. just applied for food stamps but still not able to make ends meet on bringing christmas to my kids. im high risk pregnant very limited to work. but still not giving up the hope and faith for me and my kids. been looking throughout website on the internet for help. about to be evicted from my apartment. pls help me find more reliable sources for me and my family to make through the holidays that they deserrve

  26. Gabrielle Stricker

    Hi my name is Gabrielle Stricker. I am a single mother of a 2 year old little girl! I recent ally received the domestic violence grant through DHS which got me into a safe apartment but I am having problems trying to pay my rent! I am a month behind because I fractured my foot! I only have a short amount of time to pay my past due rent or I am going to end up getting evicted from my home! I’ve been working as much as I can picking up as many shifts as possible and I still can’t make ends meet!! I have even been looking for another job to help but I haven’t had any luck! I really need help trying to provide for my daughter! Thank you so much and God bless!

  27. Nick

    Hello this is Nick I currently lost my job due to my car breaking down I now have no transportation being evicted I’ve been walking miles to get a job but it’s not happening fast enough please help me out it would be greatly appreciated

  28. Pamela Wilson-Lipscomb Post author

    Hello Daniel. Thank you for writing us. I am sorry you are having financial struggles. The program on this site are for those living in the United States. Please contact:
    St John’s Catholic Church

    25, Maw Kun Daik Road
    Dagon P .O.,
    Tel: +95 (0)1 375679
    +95 (0)9 502 6151

    Also try Sisters of charity of St. Vincent De Paul of Palermo (SV)

    1299, Nagani
    Kamahtan Kyaung Street
    Taungthu GOne Quater
    Insein Township, Bogone
    Yangon, Myanmar
    Superior – Sr. Nant Annie Tun
    Tel – 01 647726
    Email – [email protected]

  29. Pamela Wilson-Lipscomb Post author

    Hello Gabrielle. Sorry to hear you are having these financial difficulties. Take you Notice of Eviction to Catholic Charities, St Paul de Vincent Church, Salvation Army, and HUD. Hopefully funds are available to help. Good luck.

  30. Pamela Wilson-Lipscomb Post author

    Hello Florina. You have the most important job in the world, making sure your children are safe and cared for. Hello Kimberly:

    I am sorry to hear you are have financial difficulties. Please contact the Department of Social Services, Catholic Charities, Salvation Army, St Paul de Vincent Catholic Church and LIHEAP. Call your utilities company to see if they have an assistance program. Many Electric and utility companies have their own financial aid program. Let them know you have a sick child as well. Depending on amount pf your bill, you may have to go to more than one place to get all the money you need. Hello Kimberly:

    I am sorry to hear you are have financial difficulties. Please contact the Department of Social Services, Catholic Charities, Salvation Army, St Paul de Vincent Catholic Church. If you qualify for TANF, the Department of Social Services, will provide assistance with rent, Medicaid for the children and WIC for you all children under six years old, to help you buy healthy food. Here you can find food banks for extra food
    Good Luck

    Good Luck

  31. Daniel Tha uk

    Thanks for informing me to contract in my own country.I will try to meet them.
    May The Living God bless you thousandfold.
    your brother in Christ…

  32. Pamela Wilson-Lipscomb Post author

    Your welcome Daniel! These ministries have connection with many other organization and can help you and lead you to other organization as well. Let me know how it works out. God bless you as well!

  33. Jeremy Denman

    working class friend who needs rental assistance just for one month cuz he lost his job

  34. Vickie Soens

    Hello. My name is Vickie, I am homeless and I work full time. I found an apartment that I can afford but, I’m unable to move in because I don’t have enough money. I’ve called EVERY charity place here in Racine Wisconsin. They are all either out of funds, or don’t help with rent. Please help. What should I do? My email address is [email protected]. phone number is (262)977-1417.

  35. Pamela Wilson-Lipscomb Post author

    Hello Vickie:

    I am sorry to hear you are going through this. I have a family member going through this right now as well. They have and income but lost there apartment when the landlord sold the house. Now she and her adult daughter are living in a welfare hotel. This happens to millions of people every year. Try contacting HUD for security deposit assistance. Also contact St. Paul de Vincent, Catholic Charities, the Red Cross and the Lutheran Church. I know it is frustrating trying to get help, especially during Christmas when so many people need help. Please try not to give up. Keeping you in prayer.

  36. ralisa southern

    I was told to vacate a home I lived in because of rodent infestation my realtors who I thought love me since I had a 18yr rental history with them but they refuse to fix problem so that left me homeless from Oct,2015 until today I live in shelter now I look at apartment today but I don’t have security deposit he asking for I’m sick under several I need help really bad I have surgery Jan 27.2016 but no bed to sleep in no security deposit no bed nothing I never been homeless and it has made me so depressed I can’t see the light!please someone call me 217-2743471

  37. Melissa Eael

    Between places my husband daughter and I need a 100$ to pay our motel bill. We will be fine Monday the 3rd. Please help.

  38. Turenia Howard

    I need helping are rent me and my son . It is $400. Please help us.

  39. cathy maynard

    I live in a old mobile home in a park. iam on social security disability and have a very low fixed income per month. my mobile home is in desperate need of some major repairs, before it falls apart and have no money to do anything. I need help.

  40. Pamela Wilson-Lipscomb Post author

    Hi Turenia, please contact Christian Charities and the Salvation Army in you town. They will further direct you to further services as well.

  41. Joyce Cellura

    Need help with rent in behind and I just lost my job

  42. Juliedith Collaguazo

    Hello my name is Juliedith collaguazo I am behind paying the rent and they are ready to evict us on February 1. My job is closed for the fast few days due to snow blizzard.

  43. Juliedith Collaguazo

    My name is Juliedith Collaguazo. I’m behind paying my rent and I am scheduled to be evicted on February 1. My job had been closed for the past few fays due to the snow blizzard that just past. I don’t where else to get help. I have a 7 years old daughter.

  44. Pamela Wilson-Lipscomb Post author

    Hello Juliedith: Your ability to get assistance is based on your family income. Please contact DSS to see if you qualify for emergency assistance, which is given one a year for those not receiving government benefits. Funding is short this time of the year, but you can check with Catholic Charities, Red Cross and Crisis Assistance Ministry. Good luck.

  45. Pedro Del valle

    Need help to pay my rent lost my job and also if I can asstance for someone help me find a job pls contact me soon as possible .. If you can give me asstance in any of these fields please email me or even have any numbers you can help me to contact for asstance in the right directions I would be appreciated it.

  46. Jean P. Gibbs

    My name is Jean I have 4 children 2 off which have special needs my 73 year old mother also lives with us she suffered from a stroke early in the year 2115 I have had to stop working for now except for some part time volunteering for the local homeless shelter which is a few min from the house we were approved for a grant through community action opportunities and my mon was approved for a grant for a walk in shower and a wheelchair ramp through vocational rehab but nighter place can start till our well is replaced after we replaced the pump 3 times the pressure tank twice and the wiring that runs through the well once now the well company says the well has to be replaced completely we are looking at $ 7,550 which we have $1,000 we have been almost a year without running water we are in serious need of water and the repairs from the other two agicenies any help or ideas would be of great help for my family.

  47. Carolyn Bediako

    I need help right away 28th my rent I have got a red sticker on my door I owe my landlord $750 or she said I need to leave! Help

  48. Pamela Wilson-Lipscomb Post author

    Hello, Carolyn. A landlord can not just put you out. There are laws to protect you. It takes at least 30 from notification to evict a tenant. Go to Catholic Charities to as for help. Take with you any documentation given to you by your Landlord. You will probably have to go to two or more agencies to get help. Another option is Department of Social Services. You may be eligible for emergency assistance.

  49. Amelia Brown

    I want to know if I could assistance through your service.
    It would truly be a blessing for me considering the circumstances I’m dealing with .Thank yiu

  50. Pamela Wilson-Lipscomb Post author

    Hello, Amelia. You qualify for assistance if you gross income is at or below the Federal Poverty Guidelines. The department of Social Services gives once a year emergency assistance. You can also consider contacting Catholic Charities, and HUD.

  51. Joseph M Matwa

    been out of work for 2 and a half months due to a heart attack, have depleted all my funds i need help please with rent.

  52. LT

    Hello I live and a low income housing but my electric bill is out rages and I can’t pay it I have a shut off notice can you all help me.

  53. Leah

    Hello, i live in a low-income home and well we have been living here with no lights for a month now we are struggling. i stay with my uncle who has a lot of medical conditions and got to be on a breathing machine and it been hard for him with no electricity .. We certainly can use the help please…

  54. Pamela Lipscomb

    Hello, Leah. First contact your utility company. They need to be made aware that your uncle is using life-saving equipment that uses electricity. Please go to the Department of Social Services, Also try HUD, and the Salvation Army to see if you can get help.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *